Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Creating A Garden (Sort Of) Update 26-05-17

I recently demolished my garage in order to extend the garden and within the last few days I have broken out the garage floor slab. The idea is to create flowerbeds around the perimeter and to lay turf adjacent to that. The broken out flooring was only a couple of inches thick and once I have broken it down even more I was intending to put a topsoil/compost mix on top to create the flowerbeds. I am assuming that the broken up flooring will assist with drainage and stop the soil from simply washing away when it rains? I have several bags of Homebase topsoil and was intending to mix them in with compost of some sort. Can anyone offer advice and tell me if this is a good idea? I intend to plant climbing roses and honeysuckle at the far end of the garden because I have installed trellis at high level. Going forward I will be planting runner beans and tomatoes on the more exposed wall and pyracantha and other Sparrow friendly plants elsewhere. I will post some photos when I get home, in order to give a better idea of the layout. Hope someone can offer some advice. Thanks.

Unicum arbustum haud alit duos erithacos

(One bush does not shelter two Robins)

Zenodotus (3rd Century B.C.)

• You're garden has certainly done well Paul. It just goes to show what can be achieved with some hard work and effort along with the help of some rain and sunshine. I think your stray flower in the pot is another sunflower, courtesy of one of your birds! What a crop of plums. I remember my granny had a few plum trees and the supply was endless. Plum pudding, jam, to eat on their own. A lovely show of Pansy's you have there. Well done.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Thanks! At this rate I'll have a garden full of sunflowers. It's amazing how quickly everything has grown. We has temperatures of about 25 degrees here yesterday and after all the rain of last week, that will speed up the process even more. I had my first couple of tomatoes yesterday. They were so sweet. A second lot of late cropping raspberries is now starting to fruit, albeit small and green at present. I saw a very small grasshopper yesterday, so I'm leaving the far corner uncut for a while. No point making them homeless.

• Garden produce for my tea...

• Makes me feel hungry again!

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France

• They look lovely MC, bet you enjoyed them all.

Lot to learn

• Yes indeed. Very tasty!

• Well done on the produce Paul, they look very tasty

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Very nice produce - we're still waiting for our first crop.

"Let loose the Kraken!"

• The Kestrel potatoes are all gone now and the runner beans are still coming through. The tomatoes (Moneymaker variety) are so laden with fruit that one of them fell over yesterday. I've had to re-stake the plants just to be safe. I have rhubarb coming through and also some late cropping raspberries which should be ready in about two weeks. I've had to buy another section of trellis for the Loganberries, which have grown so quickly that they are getting rather out of control. The Gooseberries are unilkely to fruit until next year. For my first year for most of the fruit and veg, I'm quite pleased. Only the strawberries were a disappointment. The slugs ate most of them. Maybe I should plant them in hanging baskets next year?

• That could be a good idea about the hanging baskets MC, don't see why it wouldn't work.   I've had two meals of runner beans, not my own, but they are gorgeous, and also a few gooseberries, picked wild when out walking, the lad up the road does carrots, pots and corgettes etc., which are always great because they are so fresh, but I'm sure never as good as from your own garden and tended by yourself.

Lot to learn