Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Creating A Garden (Sort Of) Update 26-05-17

I recently demolished my garage in order to extend the garden and within the last few days I have broken out the garage floor slab. The idea is to create flowerbeds around the perimeter and to lay turf adjacent to that. The broken out flooring was only a couple of inches thick and once I have broken it down even more I was intending to put a topsoil/compost mix on top to create the flowerbeds. I am assuming that the broken up flooring will assist with drainage and stop the soil from simply washing away when it rains? I have several bags of Homebase topsoil and was intending to mix them in with compost of some sort. Can anyone offer advice and tell me if this is a good idea? I intend to plant climbing roses and honeysuckle at the far end of the garden because I have installed trellis at high level. Going forward I will be planting runner beans and tomatoes on the more exposed wall and pyracantha and other Sparrow friendly plants elsewhere. I will post some photos when I get home, in order to give a better idea of the layout. Hope someone can offer some advice. Thanks.

Unicum arbustum haud alit duos erithacos

(One bush does not shelter two Robins)

Zenodotus (3rd Century B.C.)

• Thanks Catlady. The Spadger numbers are now back up over the fifty mark, which is a first for me at this time of year. I'm normally down to a dozen or so during the Winter months. There's also a pair of BT's that spends a lot of time in there. The three-quarter coconuts are proving popular.

• I'm sure Mrs. BR will find it, especially if you place a mealie there lol !

Regards, Hazel 

• She's not a big fan of mealies, but she spends a lot of time within a few feet of the hole in the fence that she will inevitably find it. Whether she approves is another thing. That's the downside to the SBS. Lots of activity in close proximity to a possible nest site might deter her from using it. You never know, someone else might take a look.

• Unknown said:
    That's the downside to the SBS. Lots of activity in close proximity to a possible nest site might deter her from using it.

yes, I suppose if the feeding area is too close to any possible nesting site then she may decide to move location --- but hopefully still in your garden :)  if she does have further offspring then she may be more interested in the mealies to take to the young.

Regards, Hazel 

• That part of the garden only has one other suitable spot and that's the nesting box in the laurel, which she already frequents. Once the new garden develops and I add shrubs and so on, there might be some new nesting locations created, but that won't be this breeding season, or even the next. Still, you know Mrs BR, she's nothing if not unconventional. After all, she nested two storeys up above a school playground back in 2013, so anything is possible with her. Maybe I should attach a nesting box to the Chalet!

• Lol,  she'll probably nest in the chimney lol

Regards, Hazel 

• Not until after Santa has visited I hope!

• Apart from picking a raspberry on Boxing Day, there has been little for me to do in the garden for the past six weeks or so. In the meantime, the various bulbs that I planted several months ago, have started to develop shoots that are now making their way through the soil. Apart from one, they all appear to have survived the frosts that we have experienced over the past month.

First of all, the Chalet area, which should look great by the time the flowering currant starts to bloom.

I'm pretty sure that I planted various types of Crocus here. Unfortunately the label seems to have blown away. That or the Ferals have trampled it!

The edges to the path have lines of Daffodils on either side...

Coming along nicely.

This area is more of a mystery. It's where the Ferals drop their seed!

Not sure what the next step will be with the rockery. A visit to the garden centre might be in order over the next few weeks. The soil and rubble have had time to settle and I'll be adding a bit more topsoil to the areas that have sunk too far.

Mystery pot! Who knows what will grow here? There's plenty going on, so hopefully it will be a riot of colour until the baby Spadgers arrive in June and turn it into a dust bath!

Finally, the area beneath the plum trees. Daffodils and 'others'. Since I cleared the old garden I have been finding any number of random bulbs which I have replanted. Many have started to sprout. I'll have to be patient and wait to see what they are.

Two large pots will go on the piers at the far end of the garden. Plants yet to be confirmed.

• Its looking really good with signs of spring everywhere Paul,  in a couple of months you will see all sorts of stuff coming into flower :) and leaves unfurling - your hard work will soon be rewarded !    nice garden photo update.

Regards, Hazel 

• Thanks Hazel. It's gradually taking shape. I just want to add things one at a time and see how it all develops. I'm not keen on the idea of an 'instant garden' such as you might see on some TV shows. That holds no appeal.