Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Creating A Garden (Sort Of) Update 26-05-17

I recently demolished my garage in order to extend the garden and within the last few days I have broken out the garage floor slab. The idea is to create flowerbeds around the perimeter and to lay turf adjacent to that. The broken out flooring was only a couple of inches thick and once I have broken it down even more I was intending to put a topsoil/compost mix on top to create the flowerbeds. I am assuming that the broken up flooring will assist with drainage and stop the soil from simply washing away when it rains? I have several bags of Homebase topsoil and was intending to mix them in with compost of some sort. Can anyone offer advice and tell me if this is a good idea? I intend to plant climbing roses and honeysuckle at the far end of the garden because I have installed trellis at high level. Going forward I will be planting runner beans and tomatoes on the more exposed wall and pyracantha and other Sparrow friendly plants elsewhere. I will post some photos when I get home, in order to give a better idea of the layout. Hope someone can offer some advice. Thanks.

Unicum arbustum haud alit duos erithacos

(One bush does not shelter two Robins)

Zenodotus (3rd Century B.C.)

• Just looking dandy MC with everything catered for. They will all love their new surroundings, even the Cyril's!!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• This is my second attempt at posting these photos. It took a while the first time and included a lot of commentary but for some reason, after about five minutes it still hadn't worked. This time I'll just let the photos do the talking. In short: Nice weather, Robins in the holly tree, lots of work done in the SBS.

• Morning MC,  you certainly got a lot of work done yesterday, makes me feel tired just looking at all the jobs you did   lol     The grass seems to be lovely and lush - i can see a small pond being constructed in the middle  at some stage  !!    although I know you have no need really as you have the Babbling Boulders feature for the birds to bath in.    Keep up the good work, a reminder that the inspectors will be round at Christmas to check on quality control and if it meets the building regulations   lol  

Regards, Hazel 

• Thanks Hazy, I bought more timber this evening when I returned home from work (and after the Three Robins Show). More lengths of 8' 2x2 and some 6' lengths of 2x1. I switched on the floodlight so that I could apply some dark woodstain to the timber and I could hear the Industrial Park Robin singing in the distance. I will probably need a few more lengths of 2x2, but I have enough to be getting on with. A visit to Homebase is on the cards. I've run out of 3" screws!

• Yesterday was quite chilly following the thick frost, but once the sun was over the trees it warmed things up nicely. I purchased even more lengths of 2x2 and set to work...

Here's the Site Foreman making a late afternoon inspection

The next three were taken this morning to show how things were left yesterday. Hopefully the rest of the mesh will go up today.

I've constructed a two-level overhead frame which will allow me to install a more robust mesh around the sides and top. The last one was far too flimsy.

It should be easier to install the mesh in smaller sections that can be removed if they are damaged by tree growth or Cyrilla chewing through them.

• Yup MC, coming along nicely. Do you think the site foreman approves?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• He's spent this morning perched in the holly tree warbling quietly, so I will take that as a sign of approval. If he starts ditting then I will know I've done something wrong. The Ferals are more critical judging by the number of 'messages' they have left by the kitchen door today!

• Keep up the good work, don't forget the building inspectors are round in three weeks time  lol

Regards, Hazel 

• The Building Inspector is currently warbling in the holly tree!

• Unknown said:

The Building Inspector is currently warbling in the holly tree!

lol MC !!!

Regards, Hazel