Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Woodpecker in the wars

Great-spotted Woodpeckers are regular in the garden and usually bring their young in to a peanut feeder around now. No sign so far, and the state of the male below suggests something might have gone dramatically wrong. Image one shows him on 27 April, looking fine and dandy, and image two shows him yesterday, with the head and tail damaged and considerable dirt on the plumage. Happily he is still able to fly and feed, but I cannot work out how this ruination occurred. A cat, fox, squirrel or raptor surely wouldn't have just plucked feathers off the head and tail. They'd have finished him off. So maybe he got tangled in something. Suggestions appreciated but I'm sure, like me, you'll all be rooting for him. The female seems ok. In passing, it is uncommon to see a GSW on this particular feeder containing sunflower hearts.

I see I put this on the wrong Forum, apologies. Tried to delete and re-upload under Wildlife but they wouldn't let me. Ho hum.