Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Our Orchids

Are there any orchid fans out there. We are really lucky to have quite a few varieties growing in the garden, which have to be mown around, but are worth the effort. Here are the ones so far this year, I apologise for any wrong identities 

This is the Small Spider Orchid, I only found 3 of these, photo taken at the end of march

This is Ophrys passionis (not sure of an English name) & we had about 100 from the end of March,

This came out more recently, photo 19th April, & it's a Man Orchid, as it looks like lots of little men hanging,

Weve over 200 of these Pyramid Orchids just starting to flower,

We've only 2 of these Bee Orchids at the moment,

& a few general views the Orchids with the large clumps of Lizard Orchids to come

Anybody else with Orchids?

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France

• Lovely orchids! I've never seen any of those apart from Pyramidal and Bee.

I always photograph orchids when I see them but haven't really gone out of my way to find any of the scarcer ones (yet) and am still pretty clueless about ID. Here are a few - Common Spotted:

Pyramidal:

And Bee. These three were all on my local patch.

I IDed this one as Heath Fragrant Orchid (but I'm not certain). Photographed in the Abernethy area in the Highlands.

Dire photo of Early Purple Orchid, somewhere in Kent.

Fragrant Orchid on the North Downs.

This one's a Heath Spotted (I think) from north-west Scotland.

And finally, Southern Marsh Orchid from Norfolk.

• There's just something extra special about orchids. Near where I live is a housing estate, where (I hate to say it) I am amazed anything grows, but every year on a small patch of grass in front of house, not so much as a cat's whisker from a busy foot path, Spotted orchids spring up and always lift my spirits. This year I will endeavour to try and get a photo.

• Those are beautiful Aiki, I know that none of ours are rare, but I love to see them come up & hate it when the odd few get mowed by accident!!

There is a new site in France for all Orchid observations which may prove useful for identification too as it has a photo galerie http://www.orchisauvage.fr/ .

Best wishes

• Orchids are beautiful, I just wish I knew more about them. Lovely photos from both of you, Hazel and aiki.

Eight years ago when I was still fit enough (just) to walk up mountains I went on a trip to the Val d'Aran in the Pyrenees. Strangely, although the catchment drains into France it's actually in Spain. Lots of wonderful flowers including orchids.

In my usual inefficient way I failed to record what the orchids were. So, here are some of them. If anyone can identify them I would be grateful.

Sorry there's so many, I could probably produce a lot more but won't push my luck.

I seem to recall that one was a Lizard Orchid and another was called a Naked Man Orchid because it had er.... an extra appendage.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• One I missed.

Fantastic scenery up there by the way.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• The first is a Lizard Orchid which we'll have soon & the Pyramid orchid too which is the second. I'm guessing you were there around the end of May? I reckon number 7 is Naked man!! Oops is that too explicit!!

Best wishes

• Lovely Orchids from everyone here.

Paul

My bird photos HERE

• That's a beauty Alan, do you know what it's called?

Best wishes

• I went out to a local Wildlife Trust site looking for butterflies. They get orchids there which are protected by mini fences only about 9" high. None out properly yet but I did find this one just about to burst out. I've no idea what the variety is. I shall have to go back in a couple of weeks.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Lovely orchid, is it white or pale pink? you don't see many white one's.

Best wishes