Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Trees - growing for wildlife

Hi there,

Behind where I live there's a smallish 'no-mans-land' area where there's currently brambles and a variety trees that are approximates20-30 years old (I have no idea what sort they are, sorry!)

A lot of my neighbors have been getting these trees cut down claiming 'lack of sunlight', 'TV areal interference' and other selfish human 'reasoning'. (sorry; I find it really upsetting)
In the process I know of 1 woodpecker nest that has definitely been destroyed; but I'm guessing the nest destruction count is much higher.

I was wondering if there was any types of tree or large shrub that would grow fast, but maybe not quite so tall, and would provide good resources for birds so that I can start the new generation of habitat off before the rest of the trees are chopped down.

• Well, I'm not great on woodpeckers (sorry!) but if this goes on during *any* part of the breeding season, so if the nest was in use, I think this is illegal; rwww.rspb.org.uk/.../index.aspx

• Hi Rachel,

I'm guessing it probably was illegal, but that particular tree chopping episode was a few years ago and I can't remember what season they chopped down that particular tree - if it was out of season would they still be prosecuted?

• Unknown said:

Hi Sheeela

Maybe the mods could move your post to the Greenfingers forum where someone like Higgy will see it and hopefully he could help with some idea of trees for you.

If not you could post again here www.rspb.org.uk/.../903.aspx

If the trees didn't have any preservation orders on them it was probably legal for them to cut them down though it is a shame to see, it would be illegal in the nesting season if they knew that birds were nesting in them

All done.

• Hi Sheeela,

Just picked up this thread and have a few ideas for you but I'm just about to put my 6yr old to bed so will try and get back on here later and answer a few things.

A couple of questions to start us off...

Out of interest do you know who owns the land?

What area are you from? (you don't have to be too specific)

Do you have a local wildlife group, wildlife action group in your area?

As I say I will try and get back on here later with some thoughts...

Best

Higgy

P.S. Mods, does Sheeela know how to find the Greenfingers section?

• Silver Birch would be a good choice, it is fast growing and because of its open growth it won't produce deep shade and upset your neighbours. Hazel is another suitable tree, this won't grow too tall but like the Silver Birch it is good for wildlife. Try sprinkling some wild flower seeds around the edge of the land, if the area looks colourful your neighbours might enjoy the area.

Build it and they will come.

• higgy50 said:
    P.S. Mods, does Sheeela know how to find the Greenfingers section?

Looks as if she didn't know where to look after this post was moved maybe??...

• Hello,

I am sorry for the late replying - I'm hopeless with checking sometimes!

I don't know who owns the land; I think it used to be a 'nursery' for plants, so I'm guessing it was commercial private, but that was before I was born (25 years) - it could have moved to council ownership.

I'm in the Greater Manchester area.

I think there's one group that's pretty local; I didn't think of asking them as they're specific to a certain plot of land around the corner, but they may be able to offer help.

I'm cautious about asking the council; my fear would be that they would claim the land and build on it.

I'll try to take some pictures to give an idea of what sort of space I'm referring to.