Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Another Brick In The Wall(Final Update)

Hi folks. I decided today to make a start towards replacing the crumbling wall surrounding a part of our garden. I thought it would maybe be fun to do a thread to document this, so here we are. I have no idea how long this going to take me or how the finished wall is going to look, as is normally my way, I'll sort of work it out as I go along. I suspect I'll often be sidetracked along the way, as has already happened today. I've been collecting stones for a while now and I don't intend to replace the wall with bricks. Instead I'm going to use stones which are not all of the same type of stone, but that's what I have, so that's what I'll use. The first few photos show the condition the current wall. The first photo is the end of the wall nearest my woodshed and as you can see, it's not looking great.

The wall is only a small one but has been here for many years and is now crumbling badly and really insecure and wobbly at bits. This photo shows the wall behind some of the stones I've collected.

A view of the wall with the large stones moved away from it.

And a more detailed view of the extent of the damage.

As we all love the birds, I'll see if I can photograph some of them along the way, like these Starlings on my neighbour's TV aerial.

I also decided to stuff some straw into a suet ball feeder and hang it in the holly bush in case the birds might like to use some of it as nesting material.

I've decided that probably the best way to go about this is to lay out all the stones that I have and hopefully this should maybe help me to select the stones easier as the build gets under way. The next photo is of the stones that were piled along the edge of the old wall. I've tried to lay them out in a sort of organised way, (to me anyway).

At around this point, Mrs A called down to see if I fancied going to the garden centre with her for a cup of tea. This sounded great to me, so off we went. As is the way of things, we ended up having a light lunch and returned with a new adapter for the garden hose, a 12.5kg bag of peanuts and two new peanut feeders, one of which is shown here. We liked the look of these feeders because the wire mesh goes all the way around the bottom an back up the other side which should help to prevent the peanuts at the bottom from becoming damp, although the Sparrows around here take great pride in preventing this from happening by scoffing as many peanuts as they can, as often as they can.!!

When I got back down the garden to start again, I found that the supervisor had arrived and was carrying out a detailed assessment of the site. This is Tee Tee, one of my three cats. She likes to ‘help’.!!

Assessing and helping can be very tiring however, so it wasn't long before mental and physical exhaustion got the better of her.!!

Mrs A called down the garden again, reminding me that she'd promised the elderly lady next door that I'd dig out a few very small trees that had taken root close to her front door. Also I was to dig out some Peony Roses from the same area as well. I actually broke the first garden fork that I used, but think I may be able to repair it with a small exhaust clamp. I got another fork from the shed, which we actually found lying in the middle of the road when we were out in the car one day.!!(the fork, not the shed).!! I've actually found loads of things lying in the road now that I come to think about It.!! The list includes a pair of safety goggles, one of those hard hats with the ear protectors fitted to it, a small digital camera, three battery powered inspection lamps (all at different times and in different locations) and my most recent find was one of those clamp things that mountaineers use to help them when they're climbing up a rope,.. you know the type of thing? You attach a bit of rope with a loop on it to put your foot in, and as you take the weight off your foot , the clamp thing is slid up the rope and then grips the rope again as you put your weight back on the loop.!! Quite ingenious actually... In actual fact, it’s in the drawer downstairs, I’ll go get it and take a photo of it to show you… back in a ‘tic.......... Here it is..... Thanks for waiting.!!

Never be afraid to stop and pick things up (safely of course), you never know what you'll find. I actually doubled back to get the safety goggles.!! Anyway... I dug up the small trees and Peony Roses but I hate to see things go to waste, especially as they're living things, so the small trees are now planted in my garden and Mrs A found a place for the Peony Roses. I've no idea what kind of trees they are but here's a photo of one of them in it's new home, half way down the garden. I put it in the middle of some other plants that Mrs A has got (with her permission of course).

I am in all honesty trying to get back to the wall but the way things went today I was all over the place. Mrs A once again called me to see if I wanted to see a Bee that was on the ground at the front of the house. This is a photo I took before we moved it to a safer location in the garden amongst the plants. It was moving very slowly on the ground.

Whilst I was down on the ground I took a few snaps of a couple of the plants that are out at the front of the house. The first one as I'm sure you'll know is a Heather but I've no idea what the second one is. I'm not great when it comes to idenyifying plants.

Another bit of crumbling wall at the front of the house. I'll have to sort this at some point too.!!

On the way back round to get on with sorting out the stones I thought I take a few pics to show you some other stuff. It may surprise you, but I actually found these tubs (I have two of them) in the field at the back of my house. They were much taller than they are now and someone had made then into garden seats, obviously didn't want them any more and threw them into the field. There is a pile of wood in the corner of the field that the farmer doesn't bother about, so long as it's only wood or garden waste. Every now and then he sets fire to it. It’s really handy actually as all of our trimmings and stuff can go out there without the need for us to bag them up and take them to the council's waste centre. I cut the top off the seats, painted them up, and Mrs A planted some sort of butterfly friendly plants into them.

I also found this small tree lying in the field, minus a pot. I rescued this as well and put it in a pot over the winter. I planted it today in another bit of the garden but have really no idea what it is.

A view looking down the garden from the other side of the fence from the barrel planter. I built the wee hand cart thing myself out of some wood that I had lying around. Mrs A puts flowers in it in the summer and it looks really nice. The wheels were bit of a nightmare to build and I tried to persuade Mrs A that a broken cart with only one wheel would be nice, but she was having none of it. I had to build the second wheel.!! It's full mostly of the soil you get free from the council recycling centre once a year, mixed with some garden centre compost as well. The box behind the cart to the left which looks like an oversized Rabbit Hutch is Harry's house(one of my other cat's). I actually built it for Tee Tee when we moved here but she looked upon it with spectacular indifference. When Harry adopted us he moved in without a second thought. He has a comfy bed in the top half where it is nice and dry.

Heading back to continue with the wall, I took a photo of some House Sparrows leaving the tree. I'm not sure what type of tree it is but I think it may be a type of ornamental pear willow....I think. It does bear very small, hard, pear shaped fruits every year.

It's a great tree for the birds. It's close to the feeding area and the Starling and Sparrows love it. Another photo of House Sparrow’s in the tree, and arriving at the tree.

A quick stop over for a refreshing drink of Lager Shandy.

An artistic look through the stones.

Since I'm at the bottom of the garden I'd be just as well to show you a view out over the fields at the back. The farmer had been spreading....stuff...on the field the other day but you tend to get used to it...if you know what I mean.!! He puts cattle in here later on in the year so maybe expect a post about cows at some point.

This is my chimney thing that we sit round on the summer nights, and as you can see, it hasn't has the best of winters this year. Another job to add to the list.

I have plans to use this barrel as a Water Butt, but I need to put guttering up on the shed at some time and use the run off to fill the Butt. Yet another one for the ever lengthening list of things to be done.

Almost back to the stones again, but first a quick photo of one of those insect home things that we have in our Holly Bush.

I do have another pile of stones which I now got round to bringing out and organising, but before I show you a photo of all the stones together, I thought I'd introduce you to Harry. Some of you may remember him from an earlier thread, but if you missed that, here he is. He's quite old we think, and he's also a bit deaf, especially with lower frequencies. He has only recently taken to coming into the house for a wee while in the evening, before wanting back out again. He lives outside most of the time. Tee Tee hates Harry and they constantly go through a ridiculous charade where Tee Tee does what we call 'The Slow Walk'. She postures herself and passes by Harry's box with exaggerated slowness, looking at absolutely everything around her..Except Harry.!! He flattens himself to the base of his box during this and watches her intently. Totally ridiculous behaviour from both of them. Occasionally though, it does come to blows, but happily not as often as it used to. This is Harry in the bottom part of his box, pretending he doesn't know that Tee Tee is watching him from further down the garden.

This is Tee Tee, watching Harry from further down the garden, no doubt planning a 'Slow Walk' up past him.(note the condition of the wall behind her).

A pair of Goldfinch paid a brief visit, this being one of them.

And finally, these are all the stones that I have for the wall.

I think there are enough stones here to do the job and if I need smaller ones I can maybe use the sledge hammer to break up some of the more awkward shaped ones. I'm not sure yet if I'm going to do this in small steps (mixing the cement by hand) or if I'll maybe get hold of a small cement mixer and try to do it in one go if I can get a good day for it. It’s taken ages to put this post together and I do realise that it did veer off course at bits, but I hope you’ve enjoyed it and I’ll update this maybe next weekend if any further progress is made.

Paul

My bird photos HERE

• Morning Hazy. Each year Mrs A and I tell each other that there won't be much money needed to be spent in the garden the next year, and each year it seems that even more needs to be spent.!! It's a vicious circle and I strongly suspect that your plan to avoid the plant shop is doomed to fail.!! Up here we say "ne'er cast a cloot 'til the Miy is oot".!! The 'Miy' I've been led to believe is a reference to the May blossom on the Hawthorn trees and bushes but I could be wrong about this.!! The chances are that the blossom may be out down where you are but it's yet to arrive up here. We've been leaving the door of the greenhouse open during the night for the past week and the hanging baskets will soon be brought out during the day to harden them up a bit before going back inside during the night for the next couple of weeks. This is only my opinion you understand as Mrs A will decide what happens, regardless of what I think.!! To be fair, she always has lovely hanging baskets and seems to know exactly what she's doing with them.

Paul

My bird photos HERE

• thats interesting about the link to  May blossom on the Hawthorn trees.    I did manage to visit Ness Gardens without bringing any plants home although I did put 3 plants in the trolley before taking them out again LOL    It was a very hot day and as we were visiting a couple of places during the day it was not the best time to have the plants sitting in the hot car so I decided to control the urge to buy more  lol        I'm looking forward to seeing more photos and also Mrs. A's beautiful hanging baskets.   I usually do my baskets every year but not sure I'll get round to it this time with my "duff" elbow    although I will plant up a couple of manger type baskets which hang on the side of the garage.       It's lovely to see all the buds opening and new leaves, roll on a good summer so we can sit out with a glass of beer or wine and enjoy seeing the fruits of our labour    :)

Regards, Hazel 

• Thanks folks, your kind comments are much appreciated. Well done on resisting the urge to buy more plants Hazy. When we were out on Sunday I spotted some Bluebells at the garden centre (six for the price of five) but when I put them in the basket I noticed that there was only one left. Feeling sorry for the last one being seperated from its pals, it ended up in the basket as well.!! I know it's a bit daft but that's how it is sometimes, with me anyway.!!

Paul

My bird photos HERE

• Hello Paul,

it is always a pleasure to see your beautiful garden. I had to laugh when I saw the pictures taken from the Hedgehog's perspective. You are always good for a surprise. I hope that there will be Hedgehogs visiting.

I'm already looking forward to your garden-pond-plans.

Yours, Bente

• Thanks Bente. We have a Hedgehog who I think maybe sleeps in the Hog House that is under one of the trees at the side of the garden. We seen him coming out of that area a few nights ago and he headed straight across the garden and disappeared through one of the gaps in the fence that I put in for the Cat's and Hedgehog's to have easy access to the garden. I say that he's a male because he's a really large Hedgehog but I could be wrong about this. A few weeks ago he was in the garden with a smaller Hedgehog so we're wondering if there's romance in the air and hopefully the possibility of the patter of small Hoggy feet.!! I've added a photo of the Hog House although this was taken back in March and there is considerably more growth around the house at the moment. I've already started digging my pond and I've got some photos for the new thread when I get a bit of spare time to post them.

The Hog House(underneath all the wood).!! Mrs A has since painted the fence so it's looking a bit better than it is in the photo.!!

Paul

My bird photos HERE

• Hello Paul, just been catching up on the last of your thread. What a truly wonderful journey you have taken us up, down, through, around and over your garden. The wall looks lovely and very professionally done. The little touch for the Hoggies was brilliant. That was some amount of plants that Mrs A had, ready to go into her planters!! It is always the same when we go to garden centres etc, we say we are not going to spend too much!! Never works out that way. Well I, like all the others sit back and await the next instalments regarding the pond. Without a doubt it will be a great story with your humour and added extras. Can't wait.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Thanks Catlady, like I said earlier, without everyone's interest, help and sense of humour, this thread wouldn't have been nearly so much fun as it has been. I'm glad you enjoyed it and we'll see what kind of fun we can have when the new pond thread comes along. I know even less about building ponds than I did about building walls so it should at the very least be interesting.!!

Paul

My bird photos HERE

• I've just got back from holiday & caught up with your update. You've done a magnificent job on the wall, you're not related to someone called Hadrian are you?

You'll definately have to to do a pond thread & there are lots of people to give you do's & do'nts. Then there are updates on the hanging baskets too! Your threads are SOOO entertaining. LOL

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France

• Thanks folks, you're both very kind. I'm glad that everyone has enjoyed this and I can only hope that the pond thread will turn out as enjoyable as this one has been for me.

Paul

My bird photos HERE