Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Replacing leylandii

I recently moved into a house with large leylandii hedges along either side of the back garden, with an additional stretch of old, leggy privet. Neither species is on my 'favourite list', to put it mildly. I am looking to completely remove these hedges and replace one side with a mixture of holly, hawthorn and possibly beech. The other side I wish to fence as I grow soft fruit and need to support it. I am very concerned to protect and encourage garden birds. We are currently visited by green-, bull-, chaff- and gold- finches, great and blue tits, dunnock, blackbirds and a robin. Only the last three actually appear to use the leylandii as cover, but I don't want to disturb anything and am concerned that removing the leylandii in one go will deter them by removing cover. The new hedging will take time to establish, especially as I would rather not buy mature plants on cost grounds, and through concerns that these might not 'take' as well as younger plants. Any advice? The leylandii is horrifically over-grown and I hate it. I understand the need to avoid nesting periods. Any further advice on bird-friendly hedge plants would also be welcome. Many thanks.
  • Hi Ian,

If you are concerned about removing the Leylandii hedge in one go, you could consider removing it in stages by cutting down a few plants at intervals each year and interplanting with a hedging plant of your choice. In this way you can retain cover for the birds while your new hedge grows.

"The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom" - Wlliam Blake

• I understand the need to get rid if leylandii, & the sooner the better if it's overgrown. The side where you want to plant the soft fruit would probably be the priority. Then perhaps half at a time of the rest of the leylandii. I'd leave the privet until the replacement hedge has come on. Don't plant too close to any leylandii you leave, as the plants may not take.

The initial work needs to be done soon as the birds are already checking out nesting sites. You could also put up a few nesting boxes where possible to encourage them.

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France

• Hi Ian,

I would agree with Claire that you need to do it in stages and maybe reducing the height gradually would be a good way to go about it.

I wouldn't be too hasty with getting rid of the Privet as it is an extremely valuable wildlife hedging plant that supports birds but more importantly lots of valuable moths. One of these moths is the privet hawk moth and it's quite an impressive beast (look it up) If it's leggy in places cut these bits out and plant in some Guelder Rose or Alder Buckthorn and let it mix in together. There are lots of other great hedging plants such as wild cherry or even hazel which will provide a food source for other wildlife such as small mammals.

Try an think  about the length of interest if you can and if possible you want berries for birds and flowers for pollinators throughout the year as best you can. If you need to consider security then look at Hawthorn, Pyracantha and Berberis which all have thorns and create protected cover for nesting birds also.

This subject is massive and over the years we have debated it on many occasions with some really good advice being offered by many knowledgeable members. I have just been back through the archives and these three previous threads offer some superb advice that I think will be of great interest to you...

http://www.rspb.org.uk/community/wildlife/homesforwildlife/f/903/t/99529.aspx

http://www.rspb.org.uk/community/wildlife/homesforwildlife/f/903/t/92765.aspx

http://www.rspb.org.uk/community/wildlife/homesforwildlife/f/903/t/96550.aspx

I hope that this helps and gives you some where to find advice on this subject?

Please do let us know what you decide and if the advice here was of use?

Do post back on here if you want further advice or are unsure about something as this is the way that we all continue to increase our own knowledge and there is nearly always someone who has some good advice to offer!

Best

Higgy