Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

New hedge

Hi there, I want to plant a mainly native and evergreen hedge - the space for it is approx length 30 metres width about 80cm to 1m, height desired at least 2.5 metres. It is pretty much north facing but does get afternoon sun in summer. Ideally I want to attract as much wildlife as possible and have a dense, thorny impenetrable barrier. Any thoughts on plant species very welcome.
  • One non-native plant I've added to our short stretch of native hedge is Mahonia x media 'Charity'. It's very prickly, evergreen, has flowers in late winter that Blackcaps & Bluetits love, and any they miss make small berries which are eaten later in the year. It can be kept to the same height as the rest of the hedge, and will then make more side shoots. ( Our hedge is also north facing, with only the growth above the fence getting any direct morning sunlight.)

• I've incorporated Rosa Rugosa in mine. They grow very quickly so will add some interest whilst your hawthorn etc establish themselves. Polinaters love the flowers and they produce large hips although I haven't seen any evidence of the birds taking them. To be fair the adjacent pycantha has been stripped this year.

I've also used berberis darwinii for the flowers, winter interest as it's evergreen and more berries.

• As suggested above it sounds perfect for Hawthorn and I actually have a Hawthorn hedge in a similar situation and size.

I have added some honeysuckle which weaves itself through and attracts pollinators such as bees and butterflies but also moths in the evening time and of course the birds also eat the berries in the winter. Pyracantha can also be added for some variety and added spikes!

Anything else is mentioned above other than Blackthorn which is spiky also but it can be a bit of a thug. If you are situated on the coast then Blackthorn would be a better choice otherwise go with Hawthorn as above.

Best

Higgy