Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Advice on what to do

Hi all. I am looking for some advice on what to do in my garden to help with attracting birds and bees. I have attached picture of the garden in it's current state. At the moment we have some work ongoing to replace the paving with turf and a raised bed is also going in for the wife to grow some veg. The areas I have for growing are the bed at the back where the white bag is. I grew a few plants last year including Teasels, Field Scabious, Cornflowers, Astilbes and an Angelica. I am probably going to take up the Angelica as it is a bit overbearing for the space I have got to work with. I would like to keep at least one teasel as I want to see them at least flower once. The others were also very good at attracting bees so would like to keep them in place. However I still have space to add more. I would also like to get some form of bush\shrub on the left where the angelica currently is to give the birds some cover. I do have a space just next to this in the upper bed where we have a washing pole set in some concrete. I will get a picture of that put up as I would like to plant something there, partly to hide the pole a bit but also to stop it being a wasted space. I was thinking maybe something that could climb up the fence and pole. I also thought I could get something climbing up across part or all of the fence of the bed I have. I already have the honeysuckle growing along the trellis. I know this is all a bit of long ramble and a bit over the place but I am just writing down as I think about it, and I have so many ideas bouncing around my head, but struggling to put them together in some kind of plan. I haven't even got round to thinking about the front garden yet.
  • Hi Higgy. Many thanks for the suggestions. Do you think all of these would survive in this area? I have the gravel all the way round and it does have some earth below it but I don't think the quality is too great.

I think the Weigela would go well in the corner near to the roadside with the other two taking up space on each side.

• Another one that has sprung to mind and is in flower now is 'Ribes' - The Flowering Current....

I have one in the garden and at 06:30 this morning in semi-darkness it had bees on it!!

All of these suggestions would do ok in your garden and could create quite a nice 'loose' hedge. Let them grow for a year or two and then prune them to how you want them.

I would suggest that you scrape away the gravel and then dig out some of the old earth and backfill with some decent compost, plant the shrubs in this and then finish off by pushing the gravel back around them. I personally think that they would look nice a suit the location really well, especially as it's a residential street. It is only my suggestion so see what others think?

Hope that helps a little?

Best

Higgy

• Makes sense to improve the ground as much as possible. With regards to planting them do you think mixing them up would look good or should I split them apart a bit? Maybe the honeysuckle could go near the area between us and next door and grow amongst the fence?

• My understanding was that you wanted them to run along the small wall between you and next door. I think they would look good planted alongside one another and then let them form a loose hedge. With all of these plants you can prune them as you go to get them to form as thick a hedge as you want. I think one of each spaced out evenly on that boundary would look nice but of course you can add more along the front etc if you want, depends how grown up you want it to get?

One thing to think about though is security and any good Crime Prevention expert would tell you that you don't want to obscure the view of your front door or give an area where someone can hide behind so think carefully where you plant them and how high you let them grow, just prune accordingly... :-)

Best

Higgy

• Hi Higgy. My aim is to get something running along both walls. I like the idea of mixing them up as you say and with the pruning I will look to keep them at a level around half way up the metal fencing. Going to concentrate on the back garden this weekend and then tackle the front in the next few weeks.

• I managed to get out recently and plant out some recent purchases along with some plants that Higgy kindly dropped off for me. Looking forward to seeing how they all settle in, and I am sure I will want to make changes in time as I learn more. 

The one plant I am looking forward to seeing in flower is the Angelica. I was considering taking it out over the winter as it does take up a lot of room, but I think it is going to end up looking great and will hopefully attract a lot of wildlife. Does also provide good cover as shown by a recent blackbird fledgling taking residence under it.

• Hi Paul, it's all looking very nice there and as you say it will be interesting to watch it develop through to the summer.

I'll let you know if I have any other plants that might be of interest. My greenhouse is full to the brim and I have more seeds that I want to sow! I'm sure there will be some 'extras' come planting time...

Best

Higgy

• No update for a while but here is a latest picture of the bed growing well. It has been a good learning process about what plants to use in such a small space. 

Have decided that I won't be planting teasels again after they flower this year and will take up the Angelica over the winter.

Elsewhere, the Verbenas in the pots are close to flowering and the various plants in the 2nd bed are coming up well.