Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Where Have All the Gardeners Gone????????????????

Hello All,

I'm back beating my 'wildlife gardening' drum again!

I posted a while ago about the lack of activity on the green fingers forum and it seems that in my absence it hasn't got much better? We are at a time when wildlife gardening is fashionable and we have a real opportunity to promote this aspect of gardening on here to support the wildlife that we all love?

Recently I have been posting on the Gardeners World Forum and there is a lot of interest in wildlife gardening there but nothing to really capture this enthusiasm and help those thinking of taking the leap into helping wildlife on their own patch.

There is a real opportunity to help new comers to the subject by promote it further through this site and the Greenfingers page.

Are we still in a position where new comers just aren't finding this section?

If this is the case can I raise the question again of a direct "WILDLIFE GARDENING" link on the home page?  (Just a thought) At the moment when you come onto the Home page you see the 'today' section at the bottom and it all relates to the 'chat' section. There isn't any links to wildlife, gardening, photography etc and I'm sure many new comers just don't see what good subjects are actually on here? Apologies to bring this up again but I do think it's an issue and a few easy linked buttons to specific topics such as 'Wildlife Gardening' 'Water Features' 'Photography' 'Garden Visitors' 'Identify' page etc etc would make navigation to newbies so much easier and especially for those who may not be so 'savvy' when it comes to computers and on-line forums???...

Anyway it would be great to see a few more of you over on the greenfingers page to kick start it off once again? There are actually some great tips and advice on there already so plenty to talk about I reckon?

Hopefully see you over there soon....

Best

Higgy

• higgy50 said:
    Are we still in a position where new comers just aren't finding this section?

I suspect you're spot on with that, Higgy.  In my experience of the Community you tend to only find out about some sections when someone else with more experience posts on them and makes them visible on the front page.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• morning Higgy,  got to say navigating around the tons of almost hidden topic links is highly confusing to newcomers epecially and agree a direct link for Gardening for wildlife, Water Features and Photography off the main header would be most helpful as these are very popular topics especially for folk new to attracting wildlife in their gardens and those who include photography as a hobby.   I am guessing that after continual menu after menu searching to get to a particular main topic of interest is putting a lot of newcomers off,  it's like traipsing through a quagmire and getting your wellies stuck   !    I'd love see the home page menu bar with links directly to popular search interest topics (even if we have to squeeze more onto the main header toobar as there is still space on it now that isn't used) and subjects that have a benefit to helping and learning about wildlife (then other sub links can be added under those main titles)   I must add a N.Y. resolution to go check out Greenfingers page as I missed it too   lol    

Regards, Hazel 

• Unfortunately it seems that the moderators have seen fit to move this thread to here as the wholepoint of it being on the 'chat' section was so others would see it, especially those who don't know that we exist here!....

Best regards

Frustrated!!

• I moved your thread higgy50 and am awaiting feedback on your request, to see if anything can be done. Others will, as I did, see your thread in the list of current threads, regardless of where it is posted.

• Hi Higgy have RSS'd the Greenfingers now, so I can keep up without searching. I actually find sometimes if you post on this it is missed am I right are Chat and Tearooms the most used?

Pat Adams - Flickr - BLOG

• Higgy, your feedback is very much appreciated and this is just the kind of thing we want to promote in the future when we redevelop the website - so watch this space.

• Hi Mrs T,

Apologies my last reply sounds a bit rude no I've read it back on the computer. I posted it from my phone with little signal and time so was trying to keep it short.

As you know this is a subject I really enjoy and I've directed a few people here from another forum and they simply haven't been able to find it without doing a search and my thoughts are that most people would just give up on a new forum if it's not right in front of them, whether that's right or wrong...

Greenfingers is a superb addition to the form and needs to be used more which mens it must be more accessible and easier to find to newcomers. We all know where it is...

Hope that explains a bit better and politely my thoughts

Best

Higgy

• I do agree that the Greenfingers forum is not easy to find.  I can remember thinking that I'd seen it some time ago, but when I couldn't find it came to the conclusion that I'd imagined it.  I finally did find it as a result of one of Higgy's posts.  It would be great if it was easier to find.

Annie

Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better.

Einstein

• Thanks Apple, I'm glad it's not only me thinking this!

Best

Higgy

• Just to add that I didn't find it easy to get to this area of the site. I usually get here by going through my history or notifications.

Good to hear that changes could be on the horizon as I feel the whole forum\chat area needs simplifying to make it easier to navigate.