Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Spreading a little happiness

Years ago before I joined the RSPB I carried out a tree planting scheme in the fields around where I used to live. In particular the field behind my house. This field was actually a steep hillside affording wonderful panoramic view across the town to the hills and moors beyond. In Autumn I would walk my dog for miles and stuff my pockets with acorns as the oak tree offers more for wildlife than any other tree. When I came home I would plant these acorns in the field which someone had used for horses to roam around in so there was a ready made supply of horse droppings to give the acorns a head start when they started to grow That was some twenty five years ago and now that field is full of young oak trees. It`s too steep to build on and besides that there is no access except by ancient public footways.

One day an elderly lady neighbour was watching me and when I passed her house she asked me if I was spreading a little happiness. At first I didn`t understand what she meant til she told me that she had been watching me for weeks planting acorns.I was already feeling good with what I was doing but after talking to her I felt even better about my little subterfuge.

Since then I have collected wild flower seeds by the ton and kept them in old film containers which I get free from Boots photographic department. Every where I go walking I scatter some of the seeds in the hope that they not only brighten up a dull patch of waste grassy area but provide food and shelter for wildlife. I have scattered seeds on canal sides, river banks, field margins, the edges of woods and in the corners of parks that nobody bothers with and never get mown. In fact anywhere I think I can get away with it.

It`s a great feel good factor for me and it`s only a small thing to do but gives big rewards for our wonderful wildlife.

We are itinerant custudions for this wonderful planet we call Earth and we are only here, in reality, for the blink of an eye.

We can so easily destroy our habitat and we do, but, with a little effort we can all spread a little happiness which benefits every living thing on planet Earth. 

Old man