Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Grass Patch challenge

I've just posted a blog challenging you all to leave a patch of lawn uncut from now until next spring. This is to help a number of minibeasts to complete the lifecycle and bring a bit of diversity to the garden habitat. It is also a great way of attracting in birds seeking natural food.

Tempted?

If so, please post your lawn pictures as the patch develops on this thread.

Warden Intern at Otmoor.

• Now until next spring? My front lawn hasn't been cut since 2003!!! ;-)

"All weeds are flowers, once you get to know them" (Eeyore)

My photos on Flickr

• Yep as posted before lots of rough uncut grass in the garden and of course wildflower lawn.

Don't forget that it's also important to grow different types of grass as different species of moth, butterfly and invertebrate like different types of grass to both feed on and lay eggs on....

Three years after it was built our dry river bed and old stone bridge feature looks like this with lots of really rough tussocky grass down the sides and attracts lots of wildlife for different reasons...

Moths and butterflies lay eggs among it....

Small mammals and amphibians hunt & hide in it....

Caterpillars eat it and live on it...

(knot grass caterpillar)

Wildflowers grow among it....

Paths can be cut through it.....

So there you go half a dozen reasons why you should love grass and grow it long......

A good thread and a valuable message Ian!!....

Best

Higgy

• That looks great! Who else is leaving some swathes of long grass this year?

At this time of year you can really see the benefit of having some longer grass which retains more moisture and green colour as opposed to most tightly cut lawns which are brown and dry. A good fossack around the long grass should reveal all sorts of things from micro moths, grasshoppers and harvestmen.

Warden Intern at Otmoor.

• I usually leave a good 1/2 metre panel down one side of my garden each year. It has become a haven for grasshoppers and some fascinating micro moths, plus it gets lots of lovely wild flowers in it. For the last few years, its been blessed with Cowslips. As for the rest of the lawn, and this must really annoy my neighbour who cannot possibly have grass longer than 3mm, I usually wait till its the height of my dogs tummy before it gets cut. She's a labrador, so you can do the math!

• Nice one Mrs T!!

You talking about the grass being green has reminded me of something that I should have mentioned in my last post...

Our 'shorter' grass area on our more formal lawn is still lush green whilst other peoples lawns nearby seem to have gone brown! Why is this you might ask?...

Well simply our lawn has a really high percentage of clover and quite a bit of self heal in it which doesn't go brown when mown down short! I manage this by letting it grow up and flower for two weeks (about 3-4 weeks in total) then I mow it down as short as I can, then let it grow for 3-4weeks again and sow on....

This may sound daft but it means less mowing for a start but more importantly lots of extra pollinating plants that get absolutely covered in bees! when you cut it back hard it stays lush green and looks great!

I have found that a 4 week cycle like this brings the best results for the bees and on the odd occasion it has been allowed to flower for longer periods it seems of less interest to the bees for some reason? They definitely show preference for the fresh new flowers, which I presume are full of more pollen?

Just an idea for those of you who like to try something different for wildlife...

Best

Higgy