Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

What does Nyger seed grow into ?

During the summer months I had lots of sproutings from the dropped nyger seeds and kept pulling them out.
What would they grow into. I have just planted some Teasels and will kick myself if that's what my discarded nyger seeds would have turned into.

• Anonymous
    Anonymous 28/02/2010 23:08 in reply to Sparrow

Hi Sparrow

Hello to your reflection Sparrow {hi} ... great to meet you {smile}

That Sunflower is a whooper. 

Shows that the seeds are as healthy as they should be.

Yes, it would be a good idea to stamp out the seeds growth somehow - heat or otherwise

Better all round for all of us

Regards

Kathy and Dave

• Anonymous
    Anonymous 28/02/2010 23:09 in reply to Anonymous

Hi Birdwatcher

Good that the RSPB have Teasel plants that are easily managed, and are small.

Any pictures by chance would be appreciated. {smile}

Regards

Kathy and Dave

• Thanks Juno. I now know what to look for under the feeders!

• Juno said:

Apparently it looks like this.....

Quite a pretty little flower then. I will let you know if any flower

• Nicki C said:

Hi Birdwatcher

Good that the RSPB have Teasel plants that are easily managed, and are small.

Any pictures by chance would be appreciated. {smile}

Regards

Kathy and Dave

Well they look like battered nothing on earth at the moment. I will post a piccy when they recover (if they recover) or when the new ones come through

• Hi Blackbird I put on a forum somewhere that Goldfinces etc love Evening Primrose seed just as much as Teasels and without the problems.Sometimes grow one year and flower the next and we leave the seed heads on all winter,they seem to keep opening up all winter and birds seem to come back time after time.Once you have a few they keep reseeding themselves.  

• Anonymous
    Anonymous 01/03/2010 01:39 in reply to Sooty

Hi Sooty

Interesting about Primroses, Sooty.  Never thought of trying Primroses in a million years at all.  Must invest in some seeds, and grow these plants.  I would love to see the Goldies trying different seeds being the inquisitive birds that they are.   (other than the ones that I put out for them)

There seems a few type of flowering plants which produce seeds, and the seeds are a great attraction for Goldfinches.

12.00 Normal 0 false false false EN-GB X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

• Black-Eyed Susan (seeds)
    • Common Evening Primrose (seeds)
    • Coneflower (seeds)
    • Fireweed (nectar)
    • Phlox (nectar)

I am sure that they are other ones too.

Regards

Kathy and Dave

michael s said:

Hi Blackbird I put on a forum somewhere that Goldfinces etc love Evening Primrose seed just as much as Teasels and without the problems.Sometimes grow one year and flower the next and we leave the seed heads on all winter,they seem to keep opening up all winter and birds seem to come back time after time.Once you have a few they keep reseeding themselves.  

• Anonymous
    Anonymous 01/03/2010 01:43 in reply to JudiM

Hi Birdwatcher

When the plants look a little better that will be fine to see them then

Sure that they will grow once the warmer weather has arrived. {smile}

Regards

Kathy and Dave

• Our chickens line up under the feeders and quickly gobble up anything that drops

• Unknown said:

Our chickens line up under the feeders and quickly gobble up anything that drops

How wonderful Fresh eggs and your own model of dyson.