• Speak up for Welsh Seas Today

By Gareth Cunningham, Marine Policy Officer, Wales

The Welsh Government has launched its Marine consultation Marine Conservation Zones (MCZs) - Potential Site Options for Welsh Waters to create new highly protected Marine Conservation Zones (hpMCZ) in Welsh waters. This is an important step towards safeguarding marine biodiversity and recovering the health of Welsh seas. Unlike the rest of the UK, Wales has decided…

• Now that's what I call madness...

This is Sarah Outen.  Check out her other photos on her flickr site, and you will instantly get a sense of joie de vivre from this brave British adventurer.  She is impressive, fun and fabulous. 

And frankly utterly certifiable. 

Sarah is currently on the coast of Japan, and on tenterhooks, waiting for a break in the weather.  She is preparing to set off on the latest leg of London2London, her incredible round the world…

• Hands up who’s heard of the EU Marine Strategy Framework Directive?

By Alec Taylor, Marine Policy Officer

Anybody? If you haven’t, I can assure you that as with much legislation coming down from Brussels, the writing style might be a little dry but the storyline’s really important. It’s likely to be a really powerful driver for improving the health of our marine ecosystems, including its most valuable habitats and species. And of course that includes seabirds as essential parts of…

• A 15 minute break

I just had to share this lovely film about some of the work SPEA (our Portuguese Birdlife partner) are doing in the Berlengas Islands.  SPEA are an important partner in our Future of the Atlantic Marine Environment (FAME) project, and this film shows some of the methods used and bird species that we are studying.  Through FAME we are discovering important information needed to make sure we get Marine Protected Areas in…

• Wales bags a clear win for wildlife

Great news reported in the Daily Mail this morning - the 5p levy on plastic bags introduced in Wales just 6 months ago has resulted in a 90% drop in use.  This follows the earlier success in Ireland, where a similar drop in use was seen after they introduced a levy on single use plastic bags way back in 2002.   Northern Ireland will introduce a levy next year, and Scotland are considering following suit.  That would just…

• Seeing Red?

For over a decade we campaigned hard to achieve new marine legislation to protect our seas. Now Government is threatening to scrap those laws, leaving marine wildlife at risk. But you can help protect the laws that we need, by adding your voice to the discussion.

As part of the “Red Tape Challenge” process (designed to cut down on bureaucracy) Government are asking for views on which Marine regulations should…

• A worrying picture

Grim news last week as scientists show that the impacts of the Deepwater Horizon spill on the marine wildlife of the Gulf of Mexico are much more pervasive and more serious than was previously imagined.

And while Total confirm that there is no longer a naked flame burning just above the flammable gas cloud on their stricken, leaking North Sea platform, the fact remains that an estimated 200,000 cubic metres of gas…

• Dredging the life out of our seas

Want to know more about maerl (a collective term for pretty pink coral like seaweeds found in special places like Falmouth)? 

Want to know how George Osborne is going to let it be destroyed, despite there being a great win:win alternative on offer? 

Want to know how to express your feelings about this wonton destruction of our valuable marine life?

Then read Tony Whitehead's excellent blog.  Don't let the sun set forever…

• How many penguins get eaten by polar bears?

I knew I couldn't fool you.... yes, the answer is zero as penguins live in the southern hemisphere, polar bears in the north. 

But less than 170 years ago we did have penguins in British waters.  Find out more about this sad tale - and find out how you can help make happier endings in future - in the latest blog post from our Seabird Policy Officer, Rory Crawford.  

Fantastic photo of a southern rockhopper penguin…

• The edge of reason

You have to see this, its great.  I knew my lovely colleagues in RSPB Scotland were a little mad, and this proves it.  Check out their latest video:

http://vimeo.com/37101234

Before you think I am being insulting about my pals north of the border, nothing could be further from the truth.  A bit of madness and a bit of fun is a great way to get people to take notice of important messages.  Almost two years after Scotland…

• Stamp out the slaughter

Photo: Grahame Madge (rspb-images.com)

Black browed albatrosses (like those above) are stunning birds.  A pure white head with a black eye line that any 60's model would have been proud of, and an impressive wingspan of up to 2.5m (around 8 feet in old money).  Like other albatrosses they mature slowly, lay only one egg a year, and live to about 60 years.  If they are lucky.

Thousands of albatrosses drown every year…

• So how did the Minister do today?

This morning Richard Benyon, Minister for the Natural Environment and Fisheries, has been facing an audience of sealife champions, who have asked him some searching questions about the Government's plans to protect our precious marine environment.  It was streamed live on www.rspb.org.uk/marine, but if you missed it, check back next week to see a short film of the highlights.

So what did we think of the Minister…

• Minister in the hot seat

Don't forget that tomorrow, at approximately 11.10am we are holding a 'Question Time' style event with Richard Benyon, Minister for the Natural Environment and Fisheries.  You can watch it live at www.rspb.org.uk/marine

People from across the UK have been submitting hard hitting questions about the Government's plans to protect our precious seas, and some of them are getting the opportunity tomorrow to…

• The Full Monty

Monty and Reuben

I'm sure Monty Halls has heard it many times before, but he really is the Full Monty.  His website tells you he's a writer, explorer, presenter and former Royal Marines Officer, which is impressive enough.  He is also an incredible ambassador for our marine environment.  His passion for the sea brims over, and watching him on various programmes over the years inspired me to SCUBA dive in more adventurous…

• Tip top chef steps up for sealife

Arrangements are progressing well for our 'Question Time' style event that will take place next Tuesday, with Richard Benyon, Minister for the Natural Environment and Fisheries.  After putting the Minister on the spot with some challenging questions about the Government's plans to protect our fabulous but fragile sealife, we will sweeten him up with a cake to celebrate the second anniversary of the Marine Act…

• Rhian steps up for sealife

We want to thank wonderful Pembrokeshire artist Rhian Field for stepping up for sealife by signing the
RSPB's marine petition.

Rhian's love for the sea and marine life is captured in her work
'Deepwater' - with Rhian's kind permission I can share two stunning examples of her work here:

Gannettack, Rhian Field

Right of Way, Rhian Field

Rhian explains: "Not only would I like the paintings to…

• A call for the sea!

Photo: Harbour Seal, Anthony Griffiths

Calling everyone who loves the sea!

On Tuesday 29 November we are holding a 'Question Time' style event with Richard Benyon, Minister for the Natural Environment and Fisheries.  We will be celebrating the second anniversary of the Marine Act becoming law ..... and reminding him how important it is that the law is implemented properly. 

As things stand there is a real risk…

• Thanks a million!

I've really got something to squawk about!!

Every now and then over the past six months I’ve asked you all to Step Up for Sealife.  Most notably, I've rather banged on about signing our seabird pledge.... (there's still time you know!).  No doubt many of you have been stepping up for nature in other ways too.  Big or small, every step helps make a difference, and I bet many of you have taken steps without…

• Picture perfect

By Sharon Thompson, Senior Marine Policy Officer

Along with one of the judges, our very own RSPB Birds Magazine editor Mark Ward, I got to see some fabulous photographs at the British Wildlife Photography Awards on Friday evening.

I was particularly pleased that the overall winner was a stunning image of a jellyfish taken off the North West coast of Scotland (you can see it in the latest copy of Birds Magazine). The…

• Step up for sharks and shearwaters

This week is European Shark Week, an annual event devoted to raising awareness about shark conservation.  And a very good cause it is too!  As a keen SCUBA diver, I have been lucky enough to see a good number of sharks.  It is always an exhilarating experience.  Apex predators produce a tingly rush of adrenaline, and monolithic filter-feeders such as basking sharks are just jaw-dropping.

I also know how lucky I am to see…

• A burden or a blessing?

What a beautiful day!  We've been making the most of the autumn sunshine, kayaking along the creeks that run through the salt marshes of the glorious north Norfolk coast.  It's like a secret world, with chattering mallards, little egrets stalking their supper, curlews calling and flocks of starlings wheeling in the sky, promising a spectacular show when they come to roost later.  It's a great way to get some exercise…

• The real Deal

I am pleased to introduce you to Carol Knott, from Deal in Kent.  We love Carol.  She is one of our much appreciated super duper Campaign Champions - volunteers who are really stepping up for nature by encouraging those around them to support our vital campaigns to help save nature.     

Carol has been working hard to change negative perceptions of gulls, as some people in coastal towns and cities think gulls are so abundant…

• What lies beneath

When you look out to sea, enjoying the sounds and smells, do you ever wonder what lies beneath the waves?

I've just learned that the longest chalk reef in Europe - and possibly the world - lies just off the glorious coast of North Norfolk.  Twenty miles of rare habitat crammed with exciting, colourful marine life such as purple sea slugs, orange anemones, pink seaweeds, and crabs that go the whole hog on the camoflague…

• 320,000 reasons to support our campaign

Fabiano Peppes (rspb-images.com)

It is well established that seabirds die each year by being caught up in fishing lines, at rates that are pushing some species of albatross, petrels and shearwaters to the very edge of extinction.  Orea Anderson, our Global Seabird Programme Policy Officer, will today present results of our recent study at the World Conference on Marine Biodiversity, which shows just how many are being…

• Short but sweet

I saw this and just had to share ....... the overall winning image of this year's British Wildlife Photography Awards is a truly magnificent image of a jellyfish (I don't have the copyright to reproduce it here - click on the link to see it).  Our seas are amazing - help us to keep them that way by supporting our marine campaign to get Marine Protected Areas put in the right places, with the right management.