Iceland: Land of Ice and Fire - Part 2

Part 1 is HERE

The North

The fourth day of our trip saw us heading for the north of Iceland. As in the UK the weather in Iceland in May had been very poor. We were due to travel across the centre of the island by the so called highland route but unfortunately the road was impassable even in mid June. Instead we had to travel around the coast road which was very beautiful but it took all day.

For the next three nights we were based at a small rural hotel in the tiny hamlet of Eyjafjarðarbraut eystri some miles inland from Akureyri, the second largest town in Iceland. Akureyri itself is situated at the head of the largest fjord in Iceland called Eyjafjörður.

Our first excursion the following day was to the famous lake at Mývatn where we were to spend all day exploring. It's a shallow lake which is exceptionally rich in fauna especially water birds. The name Mývatn can, apparently, be translated to midge lake and it lives up to its name with millions of small black (fortunately non-biting) flies erupting from the water. This is of course what makes it so attractive to ducks and waterfowl. It was the only place in Iceland I had to don my mesh  head net - not a good look.

Some photos of the day

The ubiquitous Red-necked Phalarope foraging along the shore line. I told you that you would get sick of them.

Barrow's Goldeneye - one of Iceland's specialities

and with its mate

Another Harlequin Duck

A rather wary Long-tailed Duck

Here's a sight you won't see every day - a convoy of six Great Northern Divers ( Loons) close inshore. Not sure whether these were three pairs or six bachelors.

Stunning bird

I did a short poor quality video. If you look carefully you might see the flies and the rain on the water.

And my bird of the day - this stunning Slavonian Grebe. If you thought Red-necked Phalaropes were tame this grebe took absolutely no notice of us and I had to stand back to get in the frame.

Our guide also found the rare Gyrfalcon at its nest. This a highly protected species so we were only able to view it through a scope and it was too far away for photos.

Next morning was a Whale watching trip in the fjord. For once conditions were ideal with bright sunshine and little wind although cold on the water. We were advised to concentrate on watching rather than get too preoccupied taking photos and miss the action. I mostly heeded the advice but still couldn't resist getting a few shots. 

In the summer Humpback Whales come into the fjord to feed and that was what we were after. First a couple of shots to set the scene.

As we were in a fishing boat Fulmars were hanging round in the hope of an easy meal.

It wasn't long before the crew found where the whales were feeding. What magnificent creatures they are. Here's a few of the shots I took.

Surfacing

And diving showing the top side of the tail

Facing away fro us

And showing the underside of its tail which is pale.

If that wasn't excitement enough, in the afternoon we took a short 15/20 minute ferry ride across to the small island of Hrisey. 

Here's a panorama looking back at the mainland from Hrisey Island. 

Lots of birds on the higher ground behing the small village.

A Ptarmigan which had been taking a dust bath

And a particularity tame one chillin' on fish drying racks.

A low flying Whimbrel

An agitated Black-tailed Godwit

Back in the village was this stunning male Snow Bunting foraging amongst the Dandelions. I wish we saw them like that in the winter in the UK

Phew, this report is longer than I'd intended. That concludes a selection of my sightings in north Iceland. Part 3 will be in the west of Iceland if you want me to continue.

PS I just remembered I did a video of the ferry trip back fro Hrisey to the mainland. It's a bit tedious so skip it if you get bored.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream