Osprey at the Causeway Hide 18-06-17

Apparently the Osprey is a regular visitor to this part of the reserve. This was my first sighting of an Osprey and it was very entertaining. It dived into the water and remained there for some time before taking off with a large fish. Having taken to the air, the Osprey circled the lake several times before departing. The Marsh Harriers paid it no attention and I was later told that it is the larger Gulls, such as the Black Backed variety that harass it. Anyway, these are the photos that I managed to get, all heavily cropped.

Unicum arbustum haud alit duos erithacos

(One bush does not shelter two Robins)

Zenodotus (3rd Century B.C.)

• Was really special to see this beautiful Osprey circling and fishing just like the Caspian Tern did.    Even with the reach of our lenses the birds were quite distant but lovely to see nonetheless;  what a huge and fabulous wingspan that bird has which you show well in the photos !

Regards, Hazel 

• Well done, Paul. You've made some really nice captures and so did the Osprey judging by the size of that fish in the last four photos. Great shots of it plunging too. I was trying to make out if was ringed but couldn't see one.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• I can't see a ring, but hopefully Hazy will have much crisper images that will be more definitive.

Unicum arbustum haud alit duos erithacos

(One bush does not shelter two Robins)

Zenodotus (3rd Century B.C.)

• Unknown said:
    Hazy will have much crisper images that will be more definitive.

my Osprey images are far too distant and blurry, but I've stuck a slide show together with record shots which I'll post up shortly.  

post edit:   I may be wrong but I think I heard that this Osprey might be a 5 year old male Bassenthwaite one which is reaching maturity and the No,14 may have been mentioned .........but don't quote me on it   lol      Apparently this Osprey went all over the place, one time going as far as France but not crossing the channel, opting to go to Holland and then it returned and  headed to Kent and then it went straight up North not stopping for petrol    LOL !

Regards, Hazel 

• Just had to "join group" to say how much I've enjoyed your photos MC.   Especially the Osprey, fabulous captures even though you say they are heavily cropped you have caught the action very well.   The size of that fish makes you realise how enormous this bird is.

Lot to learn