Advice

Hi,

im new to bird watching , and i'm wanting to make my garden bird friendly, i've inserted a picture as it is now.

I get a lot of cats in the garden and need to find an animal friendly deterrent.

Thank you.

• The RSPB sells a cat deterrent gadget that might do the trick for you - not used such a thing personally, but seems to get some positive results. Otherwise, careful layout of the garden and feeders can help - are the cats actually catching birds?  If so, what ones?  It may be that the feeders are fine but ground feeding birds are getting taken (for example), in which case some protection for them is what you're after.

However, it's also possible that cats aren't taking any of the birds at all and you have nothing to worry about.  We have two cats and they do hang around near the feeders sometimes - but they're after the mice you inevitably have when you're feeding the birds.  So you may find your feline visitors are actually helping keep down your garden rodents :-)

• Hi Joe

Thank you for your reply.

No I not seen the cats catch any I used to see them sat underneath the feeders, then I read that if you put sticks into the ground where cats sits to stop them that has worked a little then I spotted a cat in the tree.

I'm not knowledgeable  on different birds  species I know I get  robins , Blackbirds collared doves ,and the odd time Magpie.I don't have a good camera and i've been trying to take pictures because Id like to know which i'm getting,I do believe I get  quite a few different ones in.

• Hi Melanie, Welcome to the Forum.  Since birds love a good bath, you might want to give them a supply of water.  Sorry, I can't see if you have already done that.  I also suggest you find some way to raise a bird bath up off the ground.  You can buy bird baths which are up on a stand and you can buy baths which you can hang from a branch or from a feeder pole.  We have a terracotta chimney pot on a path and about an arm's length from climbing plants on the end of a trellis, and we've put a plastic plant pot tray on top of the chimney pot and keep it filled with water.  This gives the birds a good view in all directions and they are bathing about 80 cm above the ground, more safely than if the bath was on the floor.  Because the bath is not right up against the trellis, the birds will not be ambushed by any cat hiding there but they are close enough to fly into the trellis for shelter if need be.

• Hi

Thank you for this, as now I no why they seem to favour the flower pots that filled up with rain water. I  do have two bowls of water out one is on the bird stand with the food however it does get dirty quite quick with the food going in it, and one on the ground but this was for the hedgehogs . - shopping list - Bird bath 

• Hello Melanie, welcome form me up in the very far north of Scotland, in Caithness. You have been given lots of different advice, hopefully you will seee different ones coming to you. I feed seed, nuts, niger seed, sunflower hearts ( a favourite) and different fat cakes/logs/balls. You can make your own pastry which is very easy to do, buy the shops own brand flour and fat, mix half the fat quantity to the flour, add in seed, crushed nuts, suet, grated cheese, sultanas, apples, anything you fancy really, add a splash of water to get the pastry into a ball and leave in the fridge for a few hours to set. You can fill small home made pots or shape to fit  feeders, coconut shells, or simply pull of pieces and squeeze around branches or twigs. They love it. Good luck.

• Hi  Catlady

Thank you, At the moment I put out mixed seeds, black sunflower seeds , Nuts, and fat balls (shop bought). I will have to give your mixture a try -my son got me some of the flutter butter I spread that onto the tree branches and the birds seemed to like that.

• Hi again, yes the flutter butter is another favourite, you tub will not last long!