2021 year list

I gave up on twitching years years ago for many reasons but, like a lot of birders, I like to keep a list of the species seen during the year. I used to expect to get 200+ species but in recent times153 has been my top and I have probably enjoyed my birding as much if not more. So its a new year so a new list and I wondered how others who keep lists are getting on with theirs. The corvid19 restrictions will limit the distance most of us will be travelling but many will have good birding not far from our doorsteps. So how is your 2021 bird list going in these strange unusual times ? I, like loads of others, am in that  "vulnerable  at risk" group so have been shielding but we still managing a decent local walk carrying our bins and I have managed 43 species in the first two weeks of the year and I've really enjoyed it. Chris has managed 46 species but her eyes are better than mine. Let's hope things with the virus will improve enough for us to catch some of the incoming Spring birds. Until then we will get on and enjoy what we have, take care folks.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• We managed to catch up with a Great White Egret the other day, a bird that has been avoiding us locally for a few weeks. Marsh and Hen Harrier have been seen on local moors and we had great views of Peregrine hunting over the Lapwing flock to catch her supper.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Frampton RSPB was good this autumn with nice views of Curlew Sands and Little Stints- then I finally bumped into the elusive Black Stork- harder to find than a Yellow Browed Warbler frankly- it could disappear into a tree :
    Odds and sods around the local patch- Pied and Spotted Flys and a Pectoral Sandpiper then a trip to Shetland in late September / October pushed the list up to 215:

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• Great to see you still adding to your list Seymour our recent trip to Northumberland added some nice waders like Sanderling running along Boulmer beach, We had the good fortune to be on Lindisfarne at the same time as the Red Eyed Vireo and only about a dozen birders watching a very nice lifer

Pete

• Since I moved to this house it's a lot smaller so I don't get anything like the number of birds I used to see. My species count is quite low as a result, it currently lies at 12. I do hear other birds passing over such as a tawny owl but I never actually get to see it.
  • Hawfinch- 216

November 20th at Lynford Arboretum-

I had a few people with me and the place was crowded:

Had good views of Brambling, Yellowhammer and Marsh Tit as well

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• 142 at the moment for me. I'm hoping to top 150 for the first time ever
    Volunteer Shaun

Volunteer Shaun welcomes visitors to RSPB Old Moor. He also writes a weekly blog about life at the reserve titled, "View From the Shed". He usually wears a big hat.

• Great reserve where you are volunteering Shaun, we wander down there occasionally from our wild N.Yorkshire always something of interest

Pete

• seymouraves said:
    Hawfinch- 216

Had to read that twice as I was nearly heading to Lynford Arboretum for 216 Hawfinch  !!!  Joy    Good total S.   What's your annual record ?

Regards, Hazel 

• A few years ago we had 55 Hawfinch locally at Fountains Abbey but we've never seen one there since until 1 was reported there at the weekend

Pete

• Hawfinches invade every few years like Xbills

S