2021 year list

I gave up on twitching years years ago for many reasons but, like a lot of birders, I like to keep a list of the species seen during the year. I used to expect to get 200+ species but in recent times153 has been my top and I have probably enjoyed my birding as much if not more. So its a new year so a new list and I wondered how others who keep lists are getting on with theirs. The corvid19 restrictions will limit the distance most of us will be travelling but many will have good birding not far from our doorsteps. So how is your 2021 bird list going in these strange unusual times ? I, like loads of others, am in that  "vulnerable  at risk" group so have been shielding but we still managing a decent local walk carrying our bins and I have managed 43 species in the first two weeks of the year and I've really enjoyed it. Chris has managed 46 species but her eyes are better than mine. Let's hope things with the virus will improve enough for us to catch some of the incoming Spring birds. Until then we will get on and enjoy what we have, take care folks.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Hi

I posted under - New years Day Big Day

I'm stuck on 60:

Not seen Greenfinch or a Sparrowhawk ( Normally see virtually every day) or a Red Leg yet and only Tawny of the owls:

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• I cycled about 7 miles today up to a quiet corner of the Wash to try and add some birds to the year list.

Sparrowhawk in the village
    Greylag and Brents on flooded fields

Shelduck Redshank and GBB Gull on the high tide edge.

I didn't have room for a scope and tripod

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• I'm afraid the 60's is where I would be in a normal year at this time. This year, I'm still in the 20's. One reason is because I can't get anywhere with decent wildfowl. Still, I did get a Willow Tit in the park today which, although I live in a hotspot for them, must be worth at least five! Wink

Nige   Flickr

• I managed to add

Rock Pipit
    Curlew
    Yellowhammer

GW Egret

S

• Woo! Coal Tit outside the dentists! Didn't know they had teeth:)

• Got to the coast again today- list was on 111. ***

Added Dunlin, Knot and Ringed and Little Ringed Plover then Kittiwake Bearded Tit and Black Redstart;

​And at last- 1st swallow!

On March 29th got to Titchwell - lots of visitors- 94

Hunstanton on 31st-  99.

• We've managed to add a few species to our 2021 list recently with Marsh Harrier,Swallow,Sand Martin and Reed Bunting list stands at 75 at the moment

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Hi

bumped into an old birding buddy volunteering at RSPB Lakenheath this weekend-
    he told me the best place to see the local Garganey- about 30 yards up there!
    Good Hot chocolate too.

A wander around a few other sites close by added
    Lsr Spot WP, Mandarin, Xbill, Treecreeper, Woodlark, Cuckoo and Wailing Heath Chicken

Year list 128.

I checked- In 2019 with no lockdown on this date I was on 134. 

last year in lockdown  I was on 135. 

S

• We got a male Garganey on ouir local reserve, Nosterfield, this afternoon along with a mangy looking female Scaup who looked in a sorry state. Bird of the day though was an Osprey seen flying over while helping three grandsons build a den, Saturday morning don't come much better !!

Pete

• Hi-

first singing Sedge Warblers , booming Bittern and Yellow Wagtails .
    A late couple of Goldeneye and at last a Snipe!

S - still no Greenfinch