Beyond the garden

So today I thought I would zoom in on the trees beyond my garden to see what I could see.....

Goldfinches never come in my garden Confused but glad to see they are not far away

No idea what this is. Much appreciate an identification thanks Wink

Parents
  • Wow ! I love that time of year when you get to see all the newly fledged offsprings. My favourite must be the great spotted woodpecker which I am fortunate enough to have several breeding pairs that come into the garden daily. I can be standing there for hours with the camera just watching the adults feed the juveniles. So cute!
  • Wow ! I love that time of year when you get to see all the newly fledged offsprings. My favourite must be the great spotted woodpecker which I am fortunate enough to have several breeding pairs that come into the garden daily. I can be standing there for hours with the camera just watching the adults feed the juveniles. So cute!
Children
  • Linda257 said:
    My favourite must be the great spotted woodpecker which I am fortunate enough to have several breeding pairs that come into the garden daily. I can be standing there for hours with the camera just watching the adults feed the juveniles.

You sound as if you have a lot of fantastic birds in your area Linda;       If you have live mealworms you stand a chance at the GS.Woodpecker coming much closer;    we had them visit our last woodland garden and the male came almost to my feet to take the live mealworms as he was helping feed the young in the nest.     The birds are a lot less fearful of humans when the hunt for food for chicks takes over....      this male was also collecting the oak moth caterpillars as well as the mealworms I had on offer for it.    He was less than a metre away from my feet at times so very bold behaviour !      So get the live mealworms ready in springtime,   get your garden chair out and remain as still as possible and you could get pics with a macro lens  !! 

• sorry got carried away looking at my own woodpecker pics I didnt even say how wonderful your capture is! It truely is wonderful .
    We do get a lot of different birds however I have noticed a big delcine in the green finch over past 2 years. sorry to keep picking your brains but...I seem to have 3 daily visiting bullfinches and they only seem to hop around on the ground and turn over any leaves thats are still laying around. Is there something I can put out as offeribgs for them as they dont seem interested in anything on the feeds
  • Linda257 said:
    .I seem to have 3 daily visiting bullfinches and they only seem to hop around on the ground and turn over any leaves thats are still laying around. Is there something I can put out as offeribgs for them as they dont seem interested in anything on the feeds

Brilliant to hear you also have Bullfinches too,     they will prefer sunflower hearts as they are seed and fruit, including berries  eaters.     

Unfortunately,  Greenfinches in particular are very susceptible to a disease called Trichomonosis which has had a huge impact on their numbers.