Knot or not?

Please can someone help identify this flock? I saw them wheeling about by the river Ore at Orford - then land on a field on the marshes.

I have been looking at various bird books but am a bit confused.

Also, can anyone tell me how to load my pictures up so they appear full width, rather than half the size of other people's posts? thanks

They appear to have grey legs and short beaks, but a black tail in flight.

Karen B Suffolk
  • They are Golden Plover, Karen. Gorgeous birds, one of my favourites.

Re uploading photos. When you get the dialog box change the dimensions to 730 x 0 before you do anything else and it will fill the screen. Bit of a pain but worth it.

PS  Under the Tools option you can click on Preview before posting to see how it looks

Regards,Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Karen, I agree with Tony, I would go with Golden Plover.

KR
    Tony

https://www.flickr.com/photos/wherryman/

• Thanks to the Two Tonies for this (almost like Two Ronnies!!). I did think "plover" at first, when I saw how round they were, but got confused by the fact that the summer plumage is so different. Birds are sooo good at confusing me!!

Very quick replies, too!

best wishes
    Karen B Suffolk
  • In reply to TeeJay:

Thanks for the uploading tip..just tried it and it works fine!

I was previously just dragging and dropping, rather than using "insert"

Karen B Suffolk
  • Lovely birds and photo Karen, well spotted.

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• I think winter waders can be tricky. One of the tips I find handy is don't forget to look at the beak as it is relatively easy to judge the relative length and shape. It might not get you to a full ID but it will narrow your options considerably ... probably. Plovers have very short beaks by wader standards.

Nige   Flickr

• In reply to Karen B Suffolk:

Hi Karen, well done for resizing the photo. If you like dragging and dropping the images which is useful for multiple images there's a work-around for resizing you might like to try. After you've uploaded all the images which will be small go to Tools and then Source Code. This will show the the html code which you don't need to understand (I don't) but you will see the size of the images. You can edit these to say 800x0 by simply overwriting what's there. You can speed this up by copying the first one you've changed and then pasting over the rest. Then click OK and all the images should be resized. Hope this doesn't sound too complicated.

Regards,Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• In reply to HAZY:

Thanks, Hazy - they were very camouflaged in the field. Luckily I saw them coming into land, or I might have not spotted them at all.
    Karen B Suffolk
  • In reply to Nigel O:

Hi Nigel - yes, that's a great piece of advice, thanks. I did think their beaks looked quite stubby - and the birds seemed quite portly (if that's not being too personal!) ;-)
    Karen B Suffolk
  • In reply to TeeJay:

Hi TeeJay

I'll try that with the images I uploaded first of all.

thanks a lot for the helpful tips
    Karen B Suffolk