How to help a baby bird?

• Robbo, it was getting dark, I wasn’t prepared to sit up watching for cats in order to remove them when I could take the bird inside for the night.
    I’m not sure if you are aware but the ‘P’ in RSPB stands for protection.
    The bird was stunned, exhausted and sat outside my window for two hours. I felt it was in imminent danger if left overnight. I took a chance I could help it, I’m glad I did.
  • Well said G!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• When I have posted this response, I will ‘self refer’ this as ‘abuse’ so RSPB staff can immediately double check and delete if I accidently breach T&C’s. Not my aim to, but obviously when facts, rather than opinions, are argued about, despite the poster seeking advice for it, it becomes difficult to get the wording right.

My response is not aimed at persuading Geministar that the ongoing error of judgement needs rethinking. I am merely trying to get the thread and record straight for anyone finding this in weeks, months and years to come and think any actions taken in this thread were in any way correct. They clearly weren't.

Starting with a positive. Because the bird couldn’t be identified, there is a small, but possible chance the age has also been mistaken and it could infact have been an adult that suffered window collision. In that case, the action taken was good luck and correct apart from the car trip.

It is my opinion that unlucky fledgling has either starved or been predated. Thinking otherwise is convenient but lacking any credibility. This is due to the bird having not eaten, and not showing any evidence of being able to feed itself. It has also been kept from its parents then many hours later, put in a car and driven presumably miles to an alien environment and ‘fly tipped’.

There has been ongoing, unchanged advice for as long as I remember (several decades) that juvenile and fledgling birds that appear abandoned or lost, or anything else other than in imminent danger, are best left alone and undisturbed. The internet will be full of those ongoing, long standing bits of advice. The RSPB advice as a random, easy to access example are here. The "what if the bird is in danger" section is an obvious paragraph to focus on, for anyone who values accurate advice.

If a bird cannot or will not fly, it is going to have an ongoing issue regarding its own safety, regardless of whether it is subjected to any temporary overnight exposure to stress in a cardboard box or not.  

It is never a good idea to release wildlife miles away. Rescue centres, as policy, always try and return rehabilitated animals as close to where they were found as possible.

Clearly, I made a mistake reading, “did I do the right thing?” as being a question, but so long as people stumbling on this post don’t make the same mistakes as referred to then at least my 20mins was 20mins well spent.