Enjoying Northumberland!

Hi! ... my second post...

Just to say what a fab birdwatching time I am having here on hols! Friday on Holy Island was amazing. I find chatting to other watchers a great way to learn.

I seem to be adding additional 'first sightings' to my list everyday. Even birds such as Rock Pippets, Common Buzzards, Eclipse Eiders. 

Yesterday I was puzzled by a sighting in Budle Bay. I had to be patient and hoped the bird got closer, and it did. It was a juvenile gull ... the size leant towards a black backed ID, but I can't be sure. And that is frustrating!

I guess I'm well and truly on the way to a permanent new hobby!! Therefore I think I need more than just Lidl middle aisle 10x50 bins (which I've already had to repair with masking tape!).

I have looked at the 'gear' chat room, and taken onboard good advice to look for a centre that sells/can try equipment before buying.

In the meantime, I would like to be able to photograph what I see to at least be able to share online and learn from others.

• Hi JP,  glad to hear you are enjoying your new hobby and visited Holy Island which I've been to a couple of times and thoroughly enjoyed the variety of birds both on the shoreline and around the island.    I remember in particular the Skylarks during breeding season soaring high into the air, singing/displaying by "parachuting" down  !    

As you have read;   on binocular advice, always try before you buy and don't rule out good quality second hand binoculars as there can be some bargains out there;   I would always go into a shop for either new or second hand so you can still test them out and see if they suit your needs.    Photography can be an expensive hobby but also enjoyable and I remember my brother telling me that I would want to buy more gear and upgrade it as I got into photography .... and he wasn't wrong !!   Once again, depending on budget you can find used gear out there so may be worth checking out your local optical stores to see what they have, both new and used gear.     Keep enjoying the great outdoors and wildlife adventures and look forward to hearing more about the birds you have seen.    There are some very good books on bird ID to help;    I have the Collins Bird Guide which is a tad pricey but certainly worth it as it gives such great information and illustrations,     

Regards, Hazel 

• Thank you Hazel. Good advice.. I have no problem with second hand. I'm not too precious with these binoculars at mo, because you have to use these things...there's so much sand in them but hey ho! If I had more expensive equipment I would defo look after them better.

I decided to fit a roof box to my car today and travelled from Bamburgh to Cramlington for the Halfords ...40 miles down the coastline! However, discovered Newton by the sea on route and yes... skylarks a-plenty there!

But the surprise has been 'happening upon' Northumberlandia in Cramlington. Added the Little Grebe  with chick's to my list! Nice looking bird.

I might have seen a Reed bunting but it was far too fast for me!!

Jill.

• Have you got the Farne Islands on your visit list. Puffins are still there in numbers.

Photography is an expensive hobby as many of us on here can vouch for but the rewards are worth it. A lot will depend upon your budget and whether your budget is a one off or something that you can add to every year or so. There is absolutely nothing wrong with buying good second hand gear.
    The usual choices are;

a bridge camera. a fairly compact camera that does not have interchangeable lenses but can be carried in a small bag or big pocket, often has a very big zoom and can be regarded as a one off purchase and will be useful for many types of photography. However, there are limitations - often bridge cameras are not as good at capturing birds in flight or poor light.

a DSLR or the newer mirrorless equivalents. This is where the money goes as you often need a couple of lenses - one for everyday photography and one for birding. Second hand is a good way to go as there are always people who want the latest gear, so there are lots of high quality used gear floating about. My personal point of view is that when starting off, if you can stretch your budget, you should aim to buy good quality lenses that will last a long time - manufacturers don't replace their lenses very regularly but cameras are upgraded almost every year. If you had an idea of budget you could get a lot of suggestions on here but its always worth going to somewhere like London Camera Exchange or Wex Photographic and chatting to them about what you want to photograph and what your budget might be.

Enjoy Northumberland it is a beautiful county.

• Ty Bob.

I would very much like to visit Farne Isles. But my priority is looking after, and spending precious time with, my 14 Yr old jrt. Ironically, she chases most things, but is totally uninterested in birds!! Strictly mammals!

I have looked across the water from Bamburgh and see a group of birds! And white rock, that I'm guessing is 'good fertiliser' material!

I do have a canon dslr in my loft! With some lenses. When I get home I'll get them down and see what's what.

I think I was thinking about a single telescope with tripod with camera?

But thank you for reminding me of what I already have... Worth seeing what I can do without spending any money.

The main reason for photographing though, is to share, ID, and learn. 

I'm thoroughly loving this new hobby! Looking forward to planning trips around it.