Fireworks to scare ducks away?

Hi,

Does anyone have any ideas to resolve this issue? 

My mother (also a RSPB member for many years) has moved into a new build row of house right next to the Huddersfield Narrow Canal in Oldham.  At least once a week, usually in the evening (and after dark at the moment as it is winter) her neighbour is using some sort of loud flash/bang fireworks to try to scare away ducks, geese, and occasionally swans from resting and roosting on the small strip of land between the houses and the canal.  The strip of land belongs partly to each house and partly (about 1m of it) to the canal.  Usually all the birds are on the canal land directly in front of my mothers house as there is a slightly larger area of land available.

The birds can be quite noisy at times but my mother and other residents like seeing them and they feed them (with the correct food).  The houses are about 2 years old.  The canal has been here a lot longer.

I don't think there are any restrictions on occasional fireworks but does anyone know if there are any rules that we could make him aware of that would encourage him and his wife to stop this?  He has been asked but he wants the birds gone.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Btw. I am open to the idea that for hygiene and maybe rat prevention, the residents may need to try to prevent the birds from roosting in this particular area but it seams a bit unfair on the birds as they were here first.