Another Vulnerable Pigeon

Hallo all,

I have no particular interest in birds but seven  years ago I posted here asking for advice for a pigeon in my garden which wouldn't fly.

Original post: community.rspb.org.uk/.../vulnerable-pigeon

Strangely an almost identical situation has just happened to my neighbour who called me to help a pigeon she found in her garden unable to fly. Just like before, this pigeon seems healthy with smooth feathers and no obvious injuries and it appears of adult size.  

Just like the last time, I now have this pigeon in a box with a container of water inside and an old towel on the box's floor.

Last time I met someone called MonkeyCheese at Streatham Common Station (South London) to take the pigeon off me to a better future.

This time we could take this pigeon somewhere as my neighbour has a car so could anyone here please give advice about where locally we should take this bird.

Alternatively if MC or anyone else near me (SW16 5UP) would like to meet at the local station like last time I am happy to give them the bird.

Archi S

• Have sent message to MC alerting him to your problem!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• I've sent you a direct message

Unicum arbustum haud alit duos erithacos

(One bush does not shelter two Robins)

Zenodotus (3rd Century B.C.)

• Hi Archi, does this pigeon look like the one you found last time? I remember the allotments tucked away behind the houses.

• I've checked with Starlight Trust and another rehabber and they are both full at the moment. It might be best to get the pidge to Pigeon Recovery in Sutton. I think their address is on the previous thread.

• Thanks for your quick response MC. I've tried to work out how to respond to the private message with my phone number but can't.

We're happy to take it to Pigeon Recovery in Sutton ourselves so thanks for the pointer.

The pigeon doesn't show what to my lay opinion is normal plumage in that it is brown and light grey or cream.
    Just now we tried to see if it would fly and took it out of the box and released it in the garden. It didn't fly but did manage to walk around as I pursued it. Again it seemed ok to look at with no obvious injuries.

In view of my inability to work out private message replies, I'm just happy to post my number here after your next post to this string.

Then I'd be able send you pictures or videos of it if you like.

Archi.
  • Replying to the pm is easy. Just type in your message in the box and then send or reply. Don't put a mobile on here. Alternatively, you can send a friend request to me and put your number on that. I'm curious to see what this pidge looks like.

• For whatever reasons I just can't figure out these things.

I'll take your advise not to post my number here, but I also need to go out now so instead I'll post my email which is different to the one 7 years ago.

purplescaper@gmail.com

We just tried to give the pigeon another flight attempt. It did fly a little but not enough so we have put it back in the box so I can go out.

It seems to be getting used to me handling it and maybe it will fly when we come back in about 2 hours.
  • Archi said:
    The pigeon doesn't show what to my lay opinion is normal plumage in that it is brown and light grey or cream.

Does it look anything like this?

Or this

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• It looks like the first one Wendy.
  • I have passed that info to MC ! Is a Red bar feral pigeon, lovely colours! How is it now?

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr