Vulnerable Pigeon

Hello all. I don’t expect I’ll be posting here beyond this query as I’m not particularly that interested in birds, but I thought of no better place to come for advice about a vulnerable pigeon, as I can’t stand unnecessary suffering. There is a pigeon in my back room that doesn’t seem able to fly. Originally it was on the patio outside this room when the door was open. I arrived into my back garden from the allotments immediately behind and found the pigeon behaving sluggishly. As I approached my home and the pigeon from the garden, the bird didn’t scarper and fly off as expected. I got to 3 feet of it and it still didn’t fly, but there are no observable injuries and it appears to walk ok, but slowly. There are a lot of stray cats around here some of which come in and out of the garden and allotments most of the time. Left to itself outside, I have no doubt the cats will give it a grisly death; which I would now feel responsible for. What should I do?
  • Hi Archi, whereabouts are you in the UK?

Unicum arbustum haud alit duos erithacos

(One bush does not shelter two Robins)

Zenodotus (3rd Century B.C.)

• Hi Doggie,

Thanks for the reply. The pigeon doesn’t look in any way to my lay opinion fluffed up. If anything visually, it appears well; it’s plump with neat smooth flat feathers and for a pigeon, I’d say it has been feeding well. It has pooed without me feeding it and so I assume able to eat ok and recently. All in all, it looks good. I only feel it is unwell by its inability to fly and general sluggishness.

Thank you for the link to helpwildlife from which I found the Riverside wildlife centre which is quite close to me and I’ll call tomorrow www.londonwildcaretrust.co.uk/contact.html

Hi Monkeycheese,

I live in Streatham, South London.

To All,

It is now in a box with some straw and ventilation, should I add anything else? I shall ring up the Riverside wildlife centre (see above); RSPCA and RSPB tomorrow when the lines are open and in the absence of any other solution; I can take it to the local vet who I assume would kill it humanely.

• Hi Doggie, I’m sorry but I’m not able to send a photo. I don’t know if its young, but it does seem fully grown judging from average pigeon sizes.

I have a variety of seeds and peas, not commercial bird food though. I’ll try giving it some in the morning as it sounds quiet and settled now in the box. I’m hoping that it might fly in the morning if it is suffering a temporary condition like being stunned from flying into some glass. I shall certainly try, but if there aren’t any alternative solutions and the vet won’t kill it I’m prepared to do it myself, as much as I loathe the idea, if it means a more natural but drawn out and grisly death can be avoided.

I really hope I don’t have to ask ‘what is the best/right way of killing a pigeon’, tomorrow.

• Unknown said:

Hi Doggie,

Thanks for the reply. The pigeon doesn’t look in any way to my lay opinion fluffed up. If anything visually, it appears well; it’s plump with neat smooth flat feathers and for a pigeon, I’d say it has been feeding well. It has pooed without me feeding it and so I assume able to eat ok and recently. All in all, it looks good. I only feel it is unwell by its inability to fly and general sluggishness.

Thank you for the link to helpwildlife from which I found the Riverside wildlife centre which is quite close to me and I’ll call tomorrow www.londonwildcaretrust.co.uk/contact.html

Hi Monkeycheese,

I live in Streatham, South London.

To All,

It is now in a box with some straw and ventilation, should I add anything else? I shall ring up the Riverside wildlife centre (see above); RSPCA and RSPB tomorrow when the lines are open and in the absence of any other solution; I can take it to the local vet who I assume would kill it humanely.

You are just up the road from me. If you have transport, take the Pidge to Pigeon Recovery, 8 Vermont Road, Sutton SM1 3EQ. Riverside would not be good for a feral pigeon. Just leave the pigeon in one of the boxes by the front door and put a note through the letter box. They will not answer the door, so please don't wait. I have taken several pigeons there and also abandoned eggs, one of which they managed to successfully hatch. They are the best for pigeon care. Rather than straw, if you have an old towel or something similar, please use that, it gives them something to grip. Also, just a small dish of water should be provided.

• If you don't have transport, you can e-mail Sarah Argrave info@helpwildlife.co.uk and she will either collect it from you or arrange a pickup. At the very least, if it is still healthy tomorrow, I will collect it from you after 4pm as I can get the train from Wimbledon to Streatham and then take it home or to Pigeon Recovery. Please don't take it to Riverside.

• Thank you for these ideas, I feel so much better now.

I’m going to add a tea cup with a small amount of water into the box. I don’t have transport so I will email Sara and ask if she can take it to Pigeon Recovery tomorrow if I find it still can’t fly.

• If it comes to that, then yes I can certainly meet MC at the station to pass on the pigeon. MC mentioned coming from Wimbledon from which there is a direct line to Streatham station. However I live near Streatham Common station which requires a change from Wimbledon. In this situation I am happy to take the box to Streatham station from Streatham Common station if there are no special skills I need to apply in keeping the bird content as I take it on the train to Streatham Station.

I shall post an update tomorrow, after I try to see if it will fly or email Sara.

• I can get the 201 and walk from Thrale Road to Streatham Common. I often go to the Homebase there. I live in Mitcham, but I travel home via Wimbledon. Post an update and if required, I will send you a message and we can arrange to meet at Streatham Common station. No problem for me to get there. The pidge comes first!

• I’ve just replaced the straw with a hand towel and a jar lid of water. The pigeon seemed ok, but not too happy with the intrusion :)

• I'd keep a close eye on it if you're going to see if it can fly. It might expend its final energy in one flight and then become stranded where you are unable to reach it. I'd be inclined to let it fly once it is with the Pigeon Recovery ladies or Sarah if she's able to collect. They will eat peas and regular bird seed if you have any. What colour are its eyes by the way?