Bins and Scopes General Advice

Hi,

a quick word of advice on Bins and Scopes-   It's generally better to have low magnification Bins- eg 7x 8x 9x 10x    and use a Scope with 25x plus mag on a tripod  for distant stuff. Zoom eyepieces have improved massively in the last 10 years. There is no need to stick with a 25x or 30x any more.  Good zooms up to 45 or 50x are now available. :)

High mag bins are hard to hold steady, heavy, and anything over 12 is probably not going to be optically outstanding unless you spend mega bucks :))

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• My husband and I have been looking at this.  I gave him 10(mag) x 50 (range) bins about 35 years ago and we both have reasonably modern pocket ones.  We decided we need to upgrade on the quality on the bins, or, possibly get a scope.

A kind friend lent us his scope for our holidays last year and we also had a look at some choices of both at an exhibit at a local reservation.

We decided that the choice has to fit in with the way we usually view birds, i.e. walking, cycling or even driving around, stopping at interesting places, or if we notice something interesting. For us, we've decided the bins suit our style better so we'll be going for new 10 x 50bins with the more up to date lens quality and shape which is a notable improvement in brightness and quality of detail on our old ones.

For someone who wants to settle somewhere and really take in details, I would think a scope would be better as it certainly gives a much better look at a distance.  We were very glad of the scopes provided at RSPB hides we visited and did set up our friend's one at our holiday cottage, but we have to spend the money where we will get most use.

•  

Hi,

sounds eminently sensible :)  Suit your gear to what you do :)

Being a scope nut I even had a side pannier to hold scope and tripod when cycling around birding in  Austria in the 1980s :)

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• Hi Seymouraves

What would you suggest is a good buy for scopes i.e. what do you use?

•  

Hi,

I use a Swarovski 65 HD - had it about 6 years.  It's small and light and performs really well. I use the wide angle zoom on a Mannfrotto tripod.

I have an old Kowa 60mm prominar ED T5 613 spotting scope- I bought it second hand about 11 years ago for travelling-it's small, light and takes all the old TSN lenses, It's great with a huge old 20x WA or the 30WA and even takes Opticron zoom lenses:) 

Those old Kowas are great value second hand as a first scope if you are on a budget:)

REMEMBER - A scope is only as good as the tripod it's on-  :)

S

•  

Hi,

I notice that reliable sellers on ebay put old used Kowa TSN 1 spotting scopes up for sale now and then . It's a good buy as a first scope but it is heavy :)  With a decent 30WA lens or a zoom it would be better than some new lower cost scopes :)

Opticron scopes often appear as well I notice - including the tiny Mighty Midget which is great considering it's tiny size :)

S

• Hi-

Boosting this for newbies interested in used scopes

S

• seymouraves said:
    including the tiny Mighty Midget which is great considering it's tiny size :)

recently set one of these up on a  hide clamp cobbled together from bits of old/damaged tripods for my wife to use in hides.She is well pleased with it and it is a fairly light set up.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Hi-  my best friend ( who's a terrific birder- surprise surprise) has been raving about them since they came out, which is a good enough testimonial for me

:))

S

• Hi-

a regular check of ebay is showing up pairs of old swarovski SLC  and Leica BN  bins at reasonable prices ( 8x30 @ £300 ish )  If you are familiar with that design  ( and have tried a pair at a shop ) and like it they are probably worth a look .

Seriously-  I'd personally buy a good used pair of a top manufacturers bins than a new pair of a lower class pair.

S