phone app for bird id

Hi, does anyone have any recommendations for a good phone app for bird id?

Many thanks,

AliD

• The Collins one is the one I'd say is most popular with birders - it's basically the Collins book in an App but also has each bird's calls/song (which is very handy). It's not free, but worth the money

___

Find me on Flickr / All about your camera - The Getting off Auto Index

• A free App that you might like to try is Merlin Bird ID by Cornell Lab. This is available from Google Play for Android phones and I would assume for iPhones from the Apple App store although I haven't checked.

It's primary purpose is to help you identify a bird from a description or a photo. You can also explore a photo database which will give more info about a selected bird including calls and distribution maps.

It was originally developed for the American market but once installed you can download packs (if your phone has enough capacity) for birds of Britain and Ireland and even for the whole of the Western Palearctic. 

Regards,Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• In reply to TeeJay:

TeeJay said:
    I would assume for iPhones from the Apple App store although I haven't checked.

Yes, you are right Tony,  HERE is the link for the iPhone/iPad  applet  

Like WJ,   I use the Collins Bird Guide App on my iPhone which can be found HERE       I also have a copy of the book too. 

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• In reply to :

Sorry 'betty90', but this is a UK site. Putting up links for brothers in America isn't likely to fool anyone.
  • As well as this spam, there is an old thread overrun with it. Thread is here and it appears the person doesn't reaslise when they keep creating profiles to add to it, it is going to a thread that no one will ever look at again! ....until I did now of course....any chance of a 'moderator' actioning 'flag as abuse'? The latest person to add spam to that link I provided still exists from 5am despite being flagged at the time.

• Have flagged it up too Rob in the hope a moderator will see it.

Regards, Hazel 

• Seems the one person who deals with spam is not working today.
  • Bring back Mrs T. !!

Regards, Hazel 

• In reply to HAZY:

That would please Thomo Hazel, I think Ian was her number one fan. She was a very useful and approachable mod

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• ......spam still here I see. As mentioned many times prev., there is no automation. It is all manual. The flagging up disappears into some folder and unless staff are working who would normally monitor it, spam just builds up.....maybe the latest one recognises they've wasted their time posting it on here?????