Free app for birdwatching and bird ID - that works for beginners

Hi all,

I hope you've been getting out and seeing some cool birds.

I am new here and (pretty much) a complete beginner to birdwatching. I have started going out with my partner on the weekend and we are really getting into. I've seen that there are plenty of bird Id and other birding apps on the android app store but have no idea where to start. A friend recommended Merlin for sound and we use that but do you have any recommendations? We'd like to be able to keep all of our photos in one place a bird list.

Thanks for you help!
HF

• Hi

A lot of folk on here use the Merlin app, making sure it is set up for the correct area you're in... Default I believe has a distinctly American slant to it's suggestions.

As for storing photo collections, a lot use Flickr. I don't know if is a free service or not.

For IDs I take photos then pore over books..... Then come here and ask when I'm still not sure Smiley 

Hope that's ok some use.

• Merlin is one of the better ones - if you get it you want the Western Palearctic Bird Pack - that gives you the most appropriate range if you are based in the UK.  Obsidentify is good one for recording and id'ing but nothing beats a good book and ie Collins and a winters evening going through the 1000's of photos on this community and learning to id things. 

I never take what the apps give me as an id as being gospel without checking against a book 

Cin J

• Hi Newbie! It's great to have you here!

I've tried quite a few birding apps, Merlin is good for ID but it can often get identification wrong as there's not really a human-element to it. 

One I really like and use often is the Birda app, I've learn alot from this app and the wonderful community on it. You log birds you don't know as unidentified and people can help by suggesting birds and commenting tips on your posts. The app does so much and has loads of features like making your bird list for you and giving you new places to explore, it's so vercatile.

I've found a blog comparing quite a few apps if this is useful - https://birda.org/best-bird-identification-apps/

Hope this helps!