Feeding Birds and pests

We used to put feeders out for our garden birds.  But had to take them down as we got rats also.  Everytime we try, the rats return.  Even if we take the feeders in at night and sweep up the fallen seeds.  How can we keep the pests away? 

• Sadly if you are going to feed birds there will be rodents.  The alternative would be to provide 'natural' food in the shape of berry/fruit and seed baring plants and growing for pollinators which will provide caterpillars and reducing the amount of food you put out.  For various reasons I haven't supplementary fed since last year apart from a very brief period during a hideous spell of weather and I still have plenty of birds using the garden but I have lots of wild area and grass of different lengths that is not heavily mown 

Cin J

•  Please do not use rodenticide as it will just go up the food chain harming the species that prey on rats and mice!  Humane traps & relocation might help!  I had to give up on feeding birds & hedgehogs due to rat problem, even my goldfish pond as rats were swimming to steal their food!!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr