RSPB Compact Binoculars

Hi,

I want to buy a pair of compact binoculars (either 8x25 or 10x25) and, naturally, the offerings from the RSPB are on my short-list, but I cannot find any reviews of either the Avocet Compact 8/10x25 or the HD Compact 8/10x25. Indeed, there is very little information or photos of either on the web.

So I was wondering if anyone has either of these binoculars and can provide further information and, ideally, an assessment of their optical quality compared to other compact binoculars. Also, what type of case, strap, caps for eyepiece and objective lenses, etc?

(Sadly there are no shops near me that sell RSPB binoculars so cannot try them in person.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Terry.

• The best way to check out any opticals, is to try before buying, and preferably try in an environment that you intend to use the opticals. But sadly, that is not always possible, unless travelling to the nearest reserve that has optics to sell.

I understand that the RSPB binoculars are made by Viking, a good optical company with favourable prices, so a search replacing RSPB with Viking might help to broaden your review search.

I have a pair of Viking 10x42 and I'm very pleased with them for birding and general use.

Trying not to name drop too much, have a look at a big global market place, they are listed there, though the reviews are old.

regards

John

• Hi John,

Thanks for your reply. I've had a look at Viking and they do some nice little compact binoculars, but none appear to have exactly the same spec as the RSPB compacts so the latter do not appear to be simply re-badged Vikings. In particular, I am mostly interested in the RSPB HD compact, which is single hinged, whereas the nearest Viking equivalent is the Kestrel ED, which is double hinged but much cheaper! The few reviews of the Kestrel ED I've found are very good.

Thanks for your suggestions - I will continue to search for a little longer!

Regards,
    Terry.
  • terence F said:
    Hi John,

Thanks for your reply. I've had a look at Viking and they do some nice little compact binoculars, but none appear to have exactly the same spec as the RSPB compacts so the latter do not appear to be simply re-badged Vikings. In particular, I am mostly interested in the RSPB HD compact, which is single hinged, whereas the nearest Viking equivalent is the Kestrel ED, which is double hinged but much cheaper! The few reviews of the Kestrel ED I've found are very good.

Thanks for your suggestions - I will continue to search for a little longer!

Regards,
    Terry.

Happy to help where I can.

What I find very frustrating is everything seems to be going online, and things like binoculars, scopes and cameras are not ideal to purchase online unless you know exactly what you want.

Good  luck and I'm sure you'll find what you want. Come back and let us know how you get on, because there will be others who have a similar issue.

regards

John