Help. My neighbour is shooting pigeons in our garden on a regular basis with an air rifle

We get on ok with our neighbours but I know he is shooting pigeons in the trees of our garden.

Its really upsetting and I just think wrong - am I ok to tell him its against the law?

Thank you 

• Call the Police & ask their advice!!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Advice here https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/advice/wild-bird-crime-report-form/ from your very own RSPB site. It sort of looks like Police on 101, but read RSPB web pages first.

90% luck, 5% field craft, 5% camera skills.

• More info to help you decide what to do
    www.shootinguk.co.uk/.../airgun-laws-26100

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• This could be slightly tricky for you to navigate.

Firstly, your neighbour might not realise it is an offence to shoot pigeons. They might regard pigeons as vermin and fair game for being shot. Problem is, I don't know one way or the other, so can't comment with authority.

Secondly, it is possible that your neighbour 'might' have a general license, which I think means he is authorised to shoot pigeons.

Thirdly, you might be wise to get evidence before phoning the police.

However, fourthly, depending on how you want to play this, but the evidence you collect or the act of phoning the police might identify you. This may well cause all sorts of ill feeling with your neighbour. You do say you get on OK with them.

The police will probably try and ensure your anonymity e.g. by saying 'we have had reports from the general public of birds being shot with an air rifle'. However, if they have photographs of them shooting birds, which you obtained, then it kind of identifies you if your neighbour sees them.

I did once report an incident of a blackbird being shot. Least ways I thought it had been shot. I heard a sharp report, and a blackbird fell down near me, and it had a strange lump on its neck. A squad car came around, eventually, and took details, but said they couldn't do much as I had no proof. However, they did say they were going to knock on neighbours' doors and 'make enquiries'.

A visit by the police might put the wind up them and cause them to stop shooting the birds.

90% luck, 5% field craft, 5% camera skills.

• "Firstly, your neighbour might not realise it is an offence to shoot pigeons. They might regard pigeons as vermin and fair game for being shot. Problem is, I don't know one way or the other, so can't comment with authority.

Secondly, it is possible that your neighbour 'might' have a general license, which I think means he is authorised to shoot pigeons."

Firstly. Ignorance of the law is no excuse. It can be used as mitigation.

Secondly. If the neighbour does have a general license that doesn't imply or provide a right to shoot anywhere. But the neighbour may be ignorant.

IANAL
  • Totally illegal for your neighbour to shoot anything on your land without your permission, irrespective of permits/licences ... it's a serious firearms offence if his pellets are crossing your border without your express permission.
  • He does not need to have a general license to shoot anything, they exist to provide permission to every single person to shoot a certain animal, without having to apply for anything ( Can find them online for a list of animals)

If his shooting feral pigeons his fine, if his shooting wood pigeons i'd defo report him. The first are grey all over, the second has white patch on its neck (easiest way to tell).

In your post you said his shooting at trees in your garden, if his doing that it's a serious offence. I'd make sure that is what's actually happening before informing the police.

Even if the bullet is ricocheting into your garden, it's still a serious offence.
  • He does not need to have a general license to shoot anything, they exist to provide permission to every single person to shoot a certain animal, without having to apply for anything ( Can find them online for a list of animals)

If his shooting feral pigeons his fine, if his shooting wood pigeons i'd defo report him. The first are grey all over, the second has white patch on its neck (easiest way to tell).

In your post you said his shooting at trees in your garden, if his doing that it's a serious offence. I'd make sure that is what's actually happening before informing the police.

Even if the bullet is ricocheting into your garden, it's still a serious offence.