Bird box placement

Hello all! 

Having spent the last few years staring out at a very blank canvas of a garden, we are this year making some wildlife friendly changes, such as adding a pond, planting lots of native flower species and bird feeders. I’ve put together a bird box with a 28mm opening and have placed it near to our back door. 

The placement is to both stop any cats from being able to get to it, and also so we can see the action from inside the house, but I wonder whether this will be an area of too high traffic? I have two young kids and we use the garden daily throughout the summer

The door is north east facing  

Cheers!

• Sorry no one has answered Sam, this time of year folks are caught up with all the Osprey activity and either miss posts or, read but don't reply or whatever other reason.

This is only my own opinions and am happy to be corrected.

Depending where you live, it may be a bit late to have put up a box, it might not get used. I say this, as I am up in the very far north of Scotland and only now, are the birds starting to use the boxes, we are normally about a month behind with the birds and garden things, as in plants growing etc. If you are further south, they may have picked and are using their boxes.

If may be too close to the door with the activity back and forth.

You say the door is NE facing, is the box NW. N-NE is ideal for a box, as it will not get too much sunshine during the day.

Good luck anyway, keep us posted.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.