Birds aren’t feeding from my feeders

hi everyone 

I wanted to ask people’s advice, before my drive was concreted I had a bird table which birds did feed from, now it is concreted I’ve put 3 feeders on my fence and no birds come to them, it’s been 2 weeks now, there are birds in the neighbours tree, I realise the position isn’t great - do you think this is the issue, I can’t think where else would be suitable. I can’t use my back garden because of my dog.

thank you 

• Hi
    Thank you for your post, it’s always helpful to hear other people’s suggestions and good advice, I will look online for the window feeders.

There is one blackbird (I think) which comes most mornings about 7.30am but it feeds on the floor, the nuts must blow off a little … and not on the table … this really worries me as there were 2 cats came right up to my door 30 mins earlier. A v v large (looked like) a dove also came today and sat in the plant pots eating the nuts that I’ve put around the bird table …for ages … the nuts had fallen in …. This also really worries me in case a cat came … I sat and watched until it went so I cud open the door if needed, if anyone has any tips on keeping cats out that would be much appreciated.

Thank you Blush
  • I wouldn't be overly concerned about cats. Even with the cars in the driveway, there isn't a huge amount of cover for cats. Put yourself at floor (bird) level and the only cover cats have is behind car wheels, which isn't much. Plus, I reckon most of the time the cars aren't in the driveway.

The blackbird and dove are a good start. The blackbird may eventually make its way into the feeder. Try some slightly crushed fat balls.

Other birds will spot them there, and will eventually deem it safe to visit the food. Probably the next constant visitor will be a robin. They are reasonably tolerant of people.

Birds may be driven to visit your feeder in the cold snap that is set to hit us, starting today.

Your feeder may face competition from other feeders in the area. It will take a little time for birds to get used to your feeder, but the blackbird and dove are a promising start.

90% luck, 5% field craft, 5% camera skills.

• Hi Michelle,
    The most recent setup you posted looks great! Usually when the feeder is pressed against a surface, the birds tend not to use it, so the bird table is much better. I agree that you should put up a bird bath. I'm getting a bird table next week, so is it ok if you can put a list of species that visit yours just so I know what birds might come?
    Great progress and evaluation on your feeders!
    Regards, Rishaan