Recommend me a camera :-)

I know I have my EOS (and that is not going anywhere!) but I'm looking for another camera that is small enough to fit comfortably in a pocket to carry around with me when I'm not taking my EOS, which is quite a bit of kit to carry around with me 24/7!  Must be suitable for taking photos of wildlife obviously as it is for catching those beasties that take me by surprise when walking the dog etc, price range probably up to around £200.  It will be kept in my pocket so not wanting something that will drop to bits at the slightest knock but I will get a solid case for it anyway.

So, does anyone have any recommendations? 

The two I've seen (in the argos catalogue lol) are:

Olympus MJU7030 14MP 7x Optical Zoom

and

Fujifilm JZ300/JZ500 with a 10x Zoom

I've seen a few others but I think they're a bit on the expensive side for what I'm wanting the camera for, however feel free to recommend any you think would be suitable plus comments on the two I've spotted would be appreciated!

• my camera is 12mp & i can load pics ok rik. paul

• Hi Kat

Rhodopsin has a Canon G10 and I bought a slightly used one on eBay for about £200.

It takes excellent macro shots, and if you already use Canon EOS then it will be really familiar to you. :-)

Best wishes Chris

Click Here to see my photos

• Unknown said:

Hi KatTai

I have a Lumix Tz8 which is identical to the TZ10 but doesn't have to gps function which i dont see the point of.  This will save you money and battery life all in all a win win combo. The down side spare batteries a expensive but the batt you get with it last a while.  They have a wide angled 12x optical zoom on them which works well. I am very happy with it giving good clear pictures but at 12mega pixel the rspb site wont upload them so i cant give u any sample shots

Cheers

Rik

Hi- if you open a pic with Photoshop ( elements will do) and crop it and reduce the overall size it should go onto the forum :)

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• Hello KatTai,

I  recently bought a Panasonic TZ8 as I wanted something pocket-sized for a recent "hand baggage only" trip abroad.  I am very pleased with the results so far and I now keep it in my handbag for unexpected photo opportunities.  Here are some pics from my trip:

Best wishes,

SB

There is something new to learn everyday...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/skylark58/

• Hi Seymouraves

Thanks for the advice on the resize of the photos i have given it ago and got it to work cheers. I am new to the rsbp web site and when i first  started it had no trouble down loading at full 12megpix qual??

Thanks

Rik

• Hi Kat

Think about the things that make the photo great - the lens, and the sensor. The more megapixels you get for your money - the better. If the lens is made by an ultra reputable company thats also better. So I have an (now) old LUMIX by Panasonic, the lens is made by Leica and I can set the number of megapixels from 14.1 which is not bad and I can get some lovely photos of flowers, insects, butterflies but I wouldnt be able to get brilliant photos of far distant birds/animals, although its probably enough to identify what I saw.

Its all a balance between the best optics, the most sensitive you can get and your budget. Good luck

Beachwalker - My favourite occupation as I love exploring my home county and photographing its beauty.

• Haven't you realised this a 12 year old thread. The previous poster (cameras -guide) is spammer trying to promote his own guide. Kat has long since left this forum

Tony

My Flickr Photostream