Gopro Hero 7 Black

I'm giving serious consideration to buying this rather nifty piece of kit and was wondering if anyone on the forum has any experience with these cameras. This one has a voice activation feature and that will come in useful when filming the Robins at Leighton Moss next June. AO are currently selling it at £244 as part of their 'Black Friday' offers. That is a very good price.

Any feedback welcome.

• My neighbours have a Gopro but not sure which one ... they love it & took it on holiday to Greek island where they swam with Turtles & snorkelled using it!
  • Hi MC, I have no idea but will just boost this back up for you as someone among our clever forumites will have an answer for you.
  • I have no experience of them, although I did think it might be good for underwater photos of fish or newts and stuff. In case you don't know, one of the reasons for the price drop is because the newer 8 model has just been released, so they obviously can't charge the same price for the 7 anymore. Still a good price though!
  • Hi Paul, I can't help you either regarding the GoPro but always fancied the idea of one. Jim might possibly know more about them but it does look a good price for the Hero 7, maybe 'cos they have a newer model out now. Review look good too. At least this reply will bump your post back up !
  • The '8' is another £100 or so more expensive and I don't think I'll miss out on too much by sticking with the '7' black. The white and silver have an inferior spec and are not simply different colours.
    I think I'll make a purchase tomorrow morning. Thank you for the comments.
    It should make filming Little HTR hand feeding a tad easier than holding a mobile phone in the other hand. He's somewhat wary of that.
  • I think Christmas has come early for someone, whilst I'm still making my mind up  LOL     enjoy your new gadget ;)    this link is for anyone else who's thinking about buying a GoPro 8 - but don't clear the shelves out until I've made my decision   ha ha !

• Sounds like you're almost decided already :)
    I imagine that while Paul is filming Robins by the sky tower, you'll be crawling on your hands and knees along the ditch getting eye-level footage of Walter ....
  • Unknown said:
    I imagine that while Paul is filming Robins by the sky tower, you'll be crawling on your hands and knees along the ditch getting eye-level footage of Walter ....

LOL Nige  !!    now there's an idea and he'll run out of the brook if I chuck out waxworms or mealworms  !     To be honest, I can't decide whether to get this GoPro;  first priority is getting necessary items for the apartment - if we ever get access to it  …………..  first fix is currently being done but the weather hasn't helped progress on the external areas.   Hard to know what we want or need until we have internal walls in situ and can look round, preferably without the hard-hat and hi-vis jackets   lol 

• Unknown said:

I'm giving serious consideration to buying this rather nifty piece of kit and was wondering if anyone on the forum has any experience with these cameras. This one has a voice activation feature and that will come in useful when filming the Robins at Leighton Moss next June. AO are currently selling it at £244 as part of their 'Black Friday' offers. That is a very good price.

Any feedback welcome.

MC, I loved, still do love, my GoPro 2.

Though its old by todays standards, it has served well in all weathers, and you may be aware I was  an avid, no make that very active, hill and moorland walker, wild camping (responsibly), and it never let me down once.

It has a very wide angle lens, so often things can appear fisheye, but the focusing never has been a problem. The only drawback if there is one, the battery never lasted more than 30 mins, but then I never required more than 10-15 mins of video.

The links below will give you some idea what the finished video can look like, using the GoPro head mounted. Oh, and yes, that dirty peat filled water was lovely and fresh, no peat, grit or anything. When we decanted some into a glass, it was as clear as tap water....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wjXW1giyNQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLyKzUsCkTM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiEkHHfkM4c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxBz145k1Qw (you can see the shadow of the head mount)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWHAq4w0Cis (probably a good example of how wide the lens can be)

The GoPro 7 will be of better spec, and quality, I hope that gives you a good idea of what to expect.

• Thanks all. The places that were advertising the Hero7 Black at the best prices had sold out. I therefore went for the Hero8 Black. Since I don't already have a Gopro and am therefore not upgrading, the (supposedly) minor improvements that some reviewers have identified are not relevant as the whole thing is new to me. I bought a 'bundle' with a head strap and mini tripod. I subsequently purchased a charger with an additional battery and a wrist/arm strap. I also purchased a 128GB SD card.
    I have watched a couple of 'review' videos to give me a feel of what it is about. I will use some of the YouTube tutorials to guide me through the learning process. I suspect I won't use some of the features, but it looks like an excellent piece of technology. Hopefully I will be able to capture more of the LM Robin activity that I keep missing with the Canon camera. All I will have to do is watch them and the Gopro will record what I see. At least that is the idea. I will have to get the guys in the engineering department to build a bracket to put on the side of the rifle mount!