This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

A question for all forum users about the home page

Just recently we have been contacted by a few members of the forum who have been having issues with the home page and we have also noted a few threads and comments on the same topic. The main concerns are that interesting topics may get buried and questions may go unanswered. As we cannot make any technical changes to the forum, we wanted to run a suggestion by you to see what you think about an idea that may help to improve things.

On the home page you will notice that we can make certain threads sticky. What we are proposing is that the moderators during their daily patrols around the forums select interesting threads from around the site and make them sticky for a day to allow ease of viewing. We would welcome your feedback on this idea.

Best wishes

Warden Intern at Otmoor.

• And four of those threads that doggie has shown are nothing to do with Loch Garten. In my opinion they should more properly be posted in one of the Wildlife forums. It wouldn't necessarily reduce the number of posts but it might help to integrate those Group members with the rest of the Forum.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Tend to agree with doggie as I run other forums my self stickys tend to blot others out so i use them sparingly.  Mayble a new link on the bar with Group posts?

Cheers 

Terry

See my photos on my Zenfolio website

• Yes, TeeJay, some of the posts are well suited to one of the Wildlife forums and would be of interest to many more forum users and accordingly stimulate more interaction between members and non members of the group.

"The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom" - Wlliam Blake

• Generally agree with opinions on the 1st page of this thread.

How I cope with the volume is go back and scan every day the previous 24hrs posts in each area of interest, then read the ones which look interesting.

A particular point made is that everyone has their own idea of what's interesting - this is fundamental.

I say let well alone, although there are new ideas broached here which might be worth looking at as an alternative to more stickies (which really is a no-no).

Regards,

Jackdaw

Seriously thinking about trying harder!

• I am a 'newbie' since the Big Garden Bird Watch, I am hooked on bird watching, taking photographs and generally sharing a common interest.  I love all the ideas and suggestions that are made on this forum and the banter.  Without implying any criticism of fellow forum users, could there not be a seperate homepage for all of the Osprey threads?  

It is obvious that this subject is of interest to a large number of people which generates a large number of posts and threads.  As a result other threads are swamped and lost.

• Just to clarify for those of you who don't know, we cannot make any alterations to the home page functionality as in adding buttons, hiding group posts, showing who the thread author is etc. As for changes to the numbers of latest posts and the activity, we will look into this.

We will merge any group threads that we feel need merging as we do across the rest of the site. I have explained this on two other threads and to a number of you who have complained directly so apologies if I come across a tad frazzled!

Best wishes and have a great weekend!

Warden Intern at Otmoor.

• I agree that more integration and interaction between the general forumites and the Loch Garten members should be encouraged somehow. It may not solve the overall problem of threads being buried all too quickly, but might help in more understanding. Certainly some of their threads could be moved out of the group and onto the general forum. Some of them actually duplicate topics already in the general forum.

Cheers, Linda.

See my photos on Flickr

• It might be good to post a link to this thread in one of the active LG threads, so we can have more input from the LG members. Some/most LG people don't generally visit other parts of the forum so might miss it.

• I see no point in changing anything. It's a very basic manoevre to click on the 'next' at the bottom of the page, even a complete techno-klutz like me can manage it! The osprey threads go wild for six months at the most, - can we not live and let live?

A thing of beauty is a joy forever.

• I am happy with the lay out, I agree there are lots for LG at the moment.like the others have said, leave the home page as it is. I am easy with whatever you do.

J