Posting Links

Hi, Can anyone advise on how to post a youtube link into a thread? Thanks - Claire

"The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom" - Wlliam Blake

• Unknown said:

Hi Shane

That's interesting. If I do what you said I just get an unhighlighted link. I am using Windows XP but I can't believe that would make a difference. Don't you use the "paperclip" icon at all? Perhaps you've found a simpler way to do it.

TJ

Yo TJ

I'm on XP too and have never bothered with the paperclip thing.  A simple copy and paste usually yields a live hyperlink.

JBNTS

Every day a little more irate about bird of prey persecution, and I have a cat - Got a problem with that?

• Shane, I have tried a simple copy and paste but this did not produce a live link. I shall have to have a think and try something else. Claire

• ClaireM said:

Shane, I have tried a simple copy and paste but this did not produce a live link. I shall have to have a think and try something else. Claire

It doesn't work for me either, Claire. Try Plan B

TJ

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• H C

Whatever link you need to post in a thread needs to be copied first, and then in your post on the thread, you need to highlight the word that you want to use to paste the link into, then it allows you to click on the chain that appears in the grey bar, when the box comes up you paste your link into the top line and press enter. It then becomes a hyperlink. :-)

Best wishes Chris

Click Here to see my photos

• An experiment:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l91uiiyUGE

Thanks Woodpecker and TJ - I  wanted to post this link to the Isle of Mull thread - however it really belongs in the bad photo thread!

C

• The link works just fine, Claire.

Nice to get any sort of video of an otter. I've never seen one in the wild. Down south they tend to be nocturnal. Must be great to see them swimming about in broad daylight.

Regards TJ

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Hi C

You got it. :-)

Glad to be able to help. :-)

Best wishes Chris

Click Here to see my photos

• Unknown said:

Hi Shane

That's interesting. If I do what you said I just get an unhighlighted link. I am using Windows XP but I can't believe that would make a difference. Don't you use the "paperclip" icon at all? Perhaps you've found a simpler way to do it.

TJ

The point of the paperclip is to produce what are known as  "posh links".  If say I was wanting to draw attention to the Pale Male site I could say  look here.  If you notice the link opens in a new window.

I start by opening the palemale site. Then I draw the cursor across the link in the window of the browser. Then I right click the link and <copy> it. to the clipboard.

Then I come to write a post here at RSPB. 

I then  write something link  this is the link.  I did that by highling "this" with the cursor. Then this brings the paperclip up. You click the paperlink and a menu appears. Then you paste the link you have stored in your clipboard into the appropiate place in the menu.  Then you click <insert> and your "posh link " appears.

The real value of posh links is apparent when you you get long unweildy hyperlinks.

I usually keep two windows or more open at the same time. That way it is easier to collected the required links while writing here at RSPB.