Good Manners on the Forums

I have been a member of the Community for some time, although I have left and returned on occasion. For the most part, the contributions have been helpful, interesting and informative for me as a learner.

Sometimes, however, I am disturbed by comments which are either transparently or obliquely offensive and it did take some courage to post a first blog. What worries me most is that, on rare occasions, insults are compounded by a few.

If I had made some of the comments I have recently read to  a colleague at work, I think disciplinary measures would have been taken.

This is a call for politeness and respect - regardless of the posters level of knowledge or experience.

Claire

"The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom" - Wlliam Blake

• Hi All,

I'm just wondering if this thread has run has run a full circle now. I have read the recent posts and am not really any wiser regarding the "suggest an answer" button - despite the intellectual arguments about consensus etc.

At the time I started the thread, my concern was on a different level which is not now relevant because I think the matter has been sorted.

I just love watching birds in my garden or when out and about and I Iike trying to identify the birds I come across.

The many posts/threads/pics  from forum members have increased my knowledge in many areas of wildlife and plant life.

Simply Regards, Claire

"The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom" - Wlliam Blake

• Courtesy on the forum,one thing is that whatever point of view different people have is to refrain from adding words to peoples quotes that change what the original comment meant.It really is a nasty thing to do.  

• Don't forget that in a question thread pressing the Answer button rather than the reply button will cause the "x Suggested this as an answer" to be added automatically ;)

Best regards
    Nigel

| My Images |  Newport Wetlands on Flickr @barman58