Ignore option?

Not sure if it is an option with this forums software, but as there is meant to be an upgrade perhaps the tech people would consider adding an ignore option to the forum, which allows members to not to see posts from certain individuals for whatever reason.  While it may seem like an unpleasent option, I do think it would be a good thing to add and I myself have used such an option on another forum when another member was proving to be very irritating and doing my head in.  It makes things much easier in such circumstances and can avoid causing aggro.

• HAHAHAHA !!!!   PURE MAGIC !!!

Cheers

AL

If its no fun Yer no doin it right!

• I am not aware of the details of the problem at hand except that it has been going on for quite some time. Problems that linger are very destructive to a forum. Somehow I get the impression that the mods do not accept there is a problem. Well even a fairly casual visitor like me can see that quite a number of people are upset.

• aiki said:

I vote AYE too, if it's feasible

In an ideal world we'd all get along, sort out our differences when they arose and if they couldn't be sorted we'd respectfully avoid each other. Unfortunately it doesn't always work that way.

On forums it's easy for someone to systematically harrass someone else in quite subtle ways that even the most diligent moderator could miss. Adding an ignore button would simply and effectively disarm the troublemaker, and would harm no-one - the troublemaker need not even know they were being ignored.

To me, that is the worst kind of harrassment and it appears that for months now it has been overlooked.My vote is also  AYE.

An optimist sees the beauty of the complete rose.A pessimist sees only the thorn .

• Hello everybody,

As has been mentioned before the Community software will be upgraded soon. When we do this we will look at the feasibility of an ignore button, and if one exists in the new software it will not be disabled.

I hope that helps to clarify the situation.

Kevin 

For more on our science, check out the RSPB Centre for Conservation Science web pages.

• Kevin Middleton said:

Hello everybody,

As has been mentioned before the Community software will be upgraded soon. When we do this we will look at the feasibility of an ignore button, and if one exists in the new software it will not be disabled.

I hope that helps to clarify the situation.

Kevin 

Thankyou Kevin.

An optimist sees the beauty of the complete rose.A pessimist sees only the thorn .

• Hi All

I have to admit that I have not used a site with a 'ignore' feature but I'm sure that once the software is out there it's not a big problem to program it into an upgrade.

The button gives people a choice which I always think is a good thing. If you don't want to use it you don't have to, but could be a great aid to overcome most of the problems stated above.

On a site like this you have no idea if someone reads your post or not, so you will be totally unware if that person has locked you out, which means everyone is happy.............. 

Robert

That is if you have not locked me out yet...

• Tweet said:

Splutter.....can you pass me a cloth please to wipe my puter screen?  There's coffee all over it now!  You HAVE to laugh at that pic :)  A cute little green eyed gal!

I vote  Aye Aye-

http://www.lifeinthefastlane.ca/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/aye_aye_2sfw.jpg

S

[/quote]

I hope everyone got the joke-  if they didn't , the photo is of an Aye Aye, an endangered critter :)

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

•  

Hi Kev, 

good post , lets get this sorted and talk feathery stuff again :) 

:)

S

ps- make sure any ignore button doesnt let a member  ignore a Mod- that would be counter-productive - :)

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• Feel I must add my two penn'orth here and say that if an ignore button helps people feel better then I agree.

Although I don't feel in need of one myself , having developed my own inner ignore button,  I do understand and sympathise with anyone who is or has been the target of harassment and find it difficult to deal with.

• my vote is for an ignore button too

i dont see how it can be abused at all

Izzy