Ignore option?

Not sure if it is an option with this forums software, but as there is meant to be an upgrade perhaps the tech people would consider adding an ignore option to the forum, which allows members to not to see posts from certain individuals for whatever reason.  While it may seem like an unpleasent option, I do think it would be a good thing to add and I myself have used such an option on another forum when another member was proving to be very irritating and doing my head in.  It makes things much easier in such circumstances and can avoid causing aggro.

• Maybe we should suck it and see. Implement an "ignore posts from <username>" option for a six month trial and if the forum hasn't descended into chaos and civil war at the end of the period then make the option a permanent fixture.

Of course, career troublemakers could simply re-register with a new  username to get back in the fray again, but it would be a bit of a chore whereas making them go away again would only take a second.  

Every day a little more irate about bird of prey persecution, and I have a cat - Got a problem with that?

• That's a good idea.  I have used such a thing on one of the major social networking sites and it doesn't seem to cause any problems there.

SB

There is something new to learn everyday...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/skylark58/

• I have never used one but feel it is a good idea.An ignore button may well have stopped members leaving in  the past and certainly would in the future.

An optimist sees the beauty of the complete rose.A pessimist sees only the thorn .

• Hi Kat

This is my general view of the issue here.

I think the ignore button will be misused on Fourms if put in the wrong hands.  I have seen software being taken off Fourms due to the misuse of the comment boxes .... let alone placing ignore buttons.  It is another financial thing to spend money on, and moderate too through all the pettiness that features like these can cause with some people.

Yet on other Forums I am on have the ignore button implemented, and no-one bothers using it as there is no reason because the Forum is heavily moderated so if there was a whiff of troublesome people they are removed in a flash.  If the owners spend all the time and money on the layout of THEIR Forum for members to use... the owners are the ones who suffer loss and no-one else (mainly money related) 

Yes, personalities clash but there is a difference between people who disagree over a subject they love and they do not see eye to eye ....to someone who is on a Forum with an alternative agenda not related to the content of the Forum at all  ie troublemakers, and most of all Trolls.

John: Well said John, I agree, the problem with e-mail addresses is that they are designed to be disposal now and you can get a temporary address and use it for whatever reason and then disappear into virtual land once more.  I think it only add to the problems areas of the internet so therefore more difficult to track down troublesome people on the website.

The most annoying thing about the internet you can be whoever you want to be......yet be a complelety different person to who you are in real life and that is the main issue with no-one knowing the real you at all - unless they met you in real life and the chances of that are remote.  That is the down side of using the internet.  Stranger danger comes to mind

So IMHO adding features like ignore and PM systems (this Forum has not got a PM system which is a blessing) can be easily used for personal gain with some people if it is used correctly - otherwise it is a disaster waiting to happen.

There are too many other things that are more important in life like enjoying the Forum as it is about Birds and that is its sole purpose - simple as that.

Regards

Kathy and Dave

• Still think an Ignore button would be a good idea

Cheers

AL

If its no fun Yer no doin it right!

• Tweet said:
    I find it hard to see how an 'ignore' feature would be used negatively in any way whatsoever, except for those who want to be heard 24/7 and always want to be the centre of attention.  Unfortunately for that type of user, the ignore function disallows them that satisfaction.

DITTO from me

Cheers, Linda.

See my photos on Flickr

• KatTai said:

Not sure if it is an option with this forums software, but as there is meant to be an upgrade perhaps the tech people would consider adding an ignore option to the forum, which allows members to not to see posts from certain individuals for whatever reason.  While it may seem like an unpleasent option, I do think it would be a good thing to add and I myself have used such an option on another forum when another member was proving to be very irritating and doing my head in.  It makes things much easier in such circumstances and can avoid causing aggro.

I think that is a sound idea Kat Tai then its down to personal choice. It would not worry me if someone did not want to see my posts, and I would not be offended. in any way if anyone chose  to block me from their reading. It makes for a stress free experience without any irritations.

Of all creatures, man is the most detestable, he is the only creature that inflicts pain for sport, knowing it to be pain.
    ~ Mark Twain

• Works for me too Judi.

Also means I would read more threads on the fourm too.

Cheers

AL

If its no fun Yer no doin it right!

• I have posted on many many many forums in the eleven plus years I have been posting on them. At the end of the day the best buttons are the ones you impose yourself. Any electronic device will always have its shortcomings. Opinions will always differ.

• KatTai said:

Well said Kat think it may be essential if we are not to lose valuable contributions from people who may leave if this not put in place.Think several people whose feelings been hurt have left and if it is optional nobody could complain,in today's world must be very simple to implement.