This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Technical issues: Are any fundamental things still not working?

This thread is for things on the community that don't work. This does not include formatting, so if there are issues with the lay out, colours or fonts please see our 'Requests for new features' thread.   

• I don't agree that TeeJay's machine has issues.  As a poster on the LG Weekly Chat I regularly see people commenting that they're struggling to post or that they've just lost a long post at the point they try to post it.  It's very unusual for me to get either a photo or a screen capture onto a thread on the first attempt - I almost invariably get an error message, which means that if I have a good number of photos to put on it will take me twice as long as it should.  I know that some people are still losing photos the minute they try to post them as this has twice happened to my husband - he gets particularly frustrated as he's a disabled man who has been forced to retire and the Community fills quite a big gap in his life.  I'm not sure how interesting it might get on this thread if everybody decided to report their problems at once - suffice to say it might take you a while to read through it all.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Clare Bailey said:

I don't agree that TeeJay's machine has issues.  As a poster on the LG Weekly Chat I regularly see people commenting that they're struggling to post or that they've just lost a long post at the point they try to post it.  It's very unusual for me to get either a photo or a screen capture onto a thread on the first attempt - I almost invariably get an error message, which means that if I have a good number of photos to put on it will take me twice as long as it should.  I know that some people are still losing photos the minute they try to post them as this has twice happened to my husband - he gets particularly frustrated as he's a disabled man who has been forced to retire and the Community fills quite a big gap in his life.  I'm not sure how interesting it might get on this thread if everybody decided to report their problems at once - suffice to say it might take you a while to read through it all.

Hi Clare,

What I am trying to achieve here is people reporting their own issues, rather than other people's issues. I am happy, if everyone has the issue for them all to be logged here, however, I'd prefer those people who have a specific issue (one of their own, rather than reporting another person's issue) to send them through to web.enquiries@rspb.org.uk 

We can then attempt to address those issues directly and release a common fix/solution for those that show a common theme.

F.

• Surely enough people have complained on this thread about the same issues that it's worth releasing a common response?

Clare also asked about the (for now shelved) multi image posting - your last post said that it would continue to be worked on.  We are still interested if any headway has been made - neither of us will be angry if there has been no real progress, we just want to know where the Community is at with this.

Many thanks, Frankie.

"Birds are, quite simply, little miracles - and as such they require care and consideration."

Magnus Ullman

My Flickr account is here

• Unknown said:
    Having this post as a sticky means that new community members are shown this forum as one of the first things they see. We know that you and others on this forum will keep us up-to-date, and all the relevant staff are subscribed to this forum so regardless of whether it's sticky we still see every post.

I think that this is taking the michael - anyone new to the Community who stays for any length of time will quickly discover there are problems.  I don't think it's fair or honest to try to hide threads which highlight ongoing problems.

"Birds are, quite simply, little miracles - and as such they require care and consideration."

Magnus Ullman

My Flickr account is here

• Clare Bailey said:
    I don't agree that TeeJay's machine has issues.

Thank you, Clare, I don't think it's an issue with my machine either. I can upload photos to Flickr and Google Drive without any problem. I've been testing varous browsers to see if that's an issue, Firefox,Chrome and Internet Explorer, but it's the same with all of them. I've even done a manual reset on my router to no avail

I find that loading or refreshing pages is very slow but I don't have that problem with other sites. Uploading photos of even quite modest size is a problem. When the Insert media dialogue box appears I have to wait for quite some time for the Browse button to appear. Then after selecting a file to upload I just wait and wait for the little green bar to move. Mostly it never gets to to the end and then I eventually get an error message. I have worked around this problem by posting my photos to Flickr first. Why is it that I can post from there by copying the image location and using the URL/YouTube option without any problem?

Limpy said:
    I think that this is taking the michael - anyone new to the Community who stays for any length of time will quickly discover there are problems.  I don't think it's fair or honest to try to hide threads which highlight ongoing problems.

I'm with Limpy on this. I think we've all been incredibly patient and most of us have suffered in silence. There seems to be an assumption that everything is hunky dory. Well for me it isn't and I suspect that for many others it isn't either. Those of us that are having problems have just worked round them as best we can.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• What a mess,will not even let me sign out.

• Blimey, Sooty - the Community must love you!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Hi Clare,that is just about the funniest thing ever.LOL,LOL.

• Jennifer T said:

I am logoless (now there's something you don't want to say in a hurry) as well!

I'm sure Orlando Bloom was Logoless in some franchised film series about the BTO marking migrating birds. S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• Ok folks, please do not suffer in silence, we can only resolve things if we know about them. It may well be that others are experiencing the same issues.