Problem magpies

A pair of magpies have started chasing my rabbits around the garden and attacking them. i've seen them trying to separate and corner one of the rabbits and even followed it under the trampoline before pecking at him.

Is there anything i can do to stop them before one of the rabbits gets injured?

• The best thing to do would beto not tto let your Rabbits run loose around your garden Any raptors/birds of prey could take any rabbits, as Wild Rabbits are regularly taken by such birds under the 1981. And Raptors/birds of prey have full protection as Schedule 1 protection in the UK! Wildlife and Countryside Act

Regards,

Ian.

• I have seen other folk have large caged runs secured into their lawns to keep rabbits safe whilst exercising!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• k123456 said:

A pair of magpies have started chasing my rabbits around the garden and attacking them. i've seen them trying to separate and corner one of the rabbits and even followed it under the trampoline before pecking at hiIs there anything i can do to stop them before one of the rabbits gets injured? loose Rabbits uncovered in the garden is asking for trouble.  Wild Rabbits are regularly taken by raptors/birds of prey. All Raptors/Birds of Prey are fully protected by UK law as Schedule 1 protection in UK law of the 1981 Wildlife and Countryside Atc. So your Rabbits could be taken by Raptors/Birds of Prey as wild Rabbits are taken regularly by such birds. You should have some cover for your Rabbits in your garden otherwise your Rabbits could be easily taken by lots of other wildlife. Sorry if that sounds harsh. But that is the reality I’m afraid.

Regards,

Ian.

• The magpies could be this years youngsters, about to embark on the adolescent road to adulthood.

I understand that juvenile magpies once fledged and no longer dependent on their parents move away to learn to fend for themselves. Magpies are notably curious, cheeky and very intelligent, just as crows are, also of the corvid family.

I've read somewhere on here, though I can't find it, its a bit like PGL (Parents Get Lost), which is a similar activity for young people to go and learn away from their parents. I guess another version of that is going to university after finishing A Levels.

I'll endorse comment regarding using a cage for your rabbits, not just because of magpies, but other predators that might be around.

regards

John