This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Technical issues: Are any fundamental things still not working?

This thread is for things on the community that don't work. This does not include formatting, so if there are issues with the lay out, colours or fonts please see our 'Requests for new features' thread.   

• Mike B said:

Is there any more news on the update promised for yesterday please?.

My apologies all.

I have a wonderful new waterfall feature in my loft where my header tank once stood!

Ok, we're planning the update as detailed in the post here - http://www.rspb.org.uk/community/about/f/1251/p/106455/791638.aspx#791638 in the week commencing the 30th September 2013 (exact date still TBC).

The RSPB are also going to be looking at the website as a whole over the coming few months, I can't say a whole lot about it right now, but amongst the considerations will be information architecture and the community. This isn't to say that in a few months time it will all immediately change, but to say it's in the plan to look at it.

After this update, we're not planning any further changes for a while, but....we'll do better at communicating any planned changes as part of the whole website review before they happen.

Thanks,

F.

• Thanks Frankie,

Can you say if the members of the Community will be involved in the planning of any future architecture/feature changes to the Community forum pages, and will they be trialled properly before they go live? It would be such a shame if the same old mistakes were made again.

Cheers, Linda.

See my photos on Flickr

• Exactly, Doggie.

Cheers, Linda.

See my photos on Flickr

• Susan H said:

Thanks Frankie,

Can you say if the members of the Community will be involved in the planning of any future architecture/feature changes to the Community forum pages, and will they be trialled properly before they go live? It would be such a shame if the same old mistakes were made again.

Hi Sparrow,

I can't say if they will be involved unfortunately. It's not a no, it's an "I don't know". Similarly, the trialling of a new community, I don't know the answer to that either.

Can I ask this particular conversation be parked until we know a bit more about the how, the what and the when before I answer the who?

• Hello. Not being a killjoy. This is a thread for issues and fixes only. I don't really want to start another big conversation about the past. I'm hoping we're all moving on from that.

Thanks,

F.

• Unknown said:

Is there any more news on the update promised for yesterday please?.

My apologies all.

I have a wonderful new waterfall feature in my loft where my header tank once stood!

Ok, we're planning the update as detailed in the post here - http://www.rspb.org.uk/community/about/f/1251/p/106455/791638.aspx#791638 in the week commencing the 30th September 2013 (exact date still TBC).

The RSPB are also going to be looking at the website as a whole over the coming few months, I can't say a whole lot about it right now, but amongst the considerations will be information architecture and the community. This isn't to say that in a few months time it will all immediately change, but to say it's in the plan to look at it.

After this update, we're not planning any further changes for a while, but....we'll do better at communicating any planned changes as part of the whole website review before they happen.

Thanks,

F.

[/quote]

to quote your 3rd September message

"

In the next 2-3 weeks the following fixes will be published to the community:

• "Notify me of replies to this post" when posting to a forum is set to opt in by default, this should be set to opt-out
    • Contact us and terms and conditions link not working
    • Headings in the browser (titles) not displaying correctly, often displays "???" or HTML code such as """
    • Spell checker not working correctly for some users.

The following user experience improvements will also be made:

• Multiple file uploads (more than 1 image at the same time)
    • Links from activity feeds direct to post/comment
    • Notification links direct to last post/comment

Plus a number of "how to" posts will be published.

The profile speed issue still remains, we are working on this and as soon as we've identified and rectified the problem, we'll make this change. I anticipate a fix for this by the end of September.

F."

I have to be quite honest and say that I am rather disappointed to find that we have to wait another 2-3 weeks for these fixes.

Regards,

Bob

[/quote]

Hi Bob,

We've been working on it and I appreciate your frustration, however we want to ensure it's fully tested before we launch it.

F.

• Frankie, thank you and sorry to hear about your problems at home!.

• Unknown said:

Frankie,

may I ask about what exactly will be fixed in regard to Noticifications please?

Bob

Hi Bob,

The notification will link directly to the last post in a thread.

The notification will only disappear when clicked on, and will remain unread until the notification is clicked on.

"Email me replies to this post" at the bottom of posts will be opted out by default. Currently this is opted in by default.

F.

• Unknown said:

To clarify, if I have 7 notifications, the other 6 will remain after I have clicked on the first one and if there is more than one page of postings I will go to the last page.

If that's so, then thank you.

Bob

Yes Bob, that's the intended functionality.

F.

• I'm sure several enterprising members on here suggested trialing the website first a loooong time ago.

That's not looking back- it's suggesting that taking advice early next time might save us all a lot of hassle later.

:)

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box