Requests for new features: What would you like to see on the community?

This is where we can pool ideas and aspirations for the Community. Ideas are helpful for us to understand what you want to see, but with our limited resources we are looking to cherry pick the best ones. To tell us about fundamental problems with the Community please see our 'Technical issues' thread.

• Send us either a PM or an email at wildlife@rspb.org.uk Hope this helps.

• Unknown said:

The main thing to sort out in my opinion is the fact that this forum is so difficult to navigate!  The following would help with that matter:

- A great big obvious link button that says "FORUMS"

- All forums to be in there and not dotted about all over the place - There's no need to have them in "wildlife and chat and everywhere else!"

So sensible!  

aiki said:

If the community homepage gave a list of all the available sub-forums (which is the standard and most sensible setup for discussion forum websites), instead of a list of all recent posts, there'd be no issue.

So sensible!  The RSPB's site is so idiosyncratic, it's as if the qualification for designers was "no previous experience needed" :-(

Speaking as one 95% focused on ospreys, I sympathise with non-osprey fans.

Speaking for myself and my own "idiosyncrasies" - I'm in the minority, I expect, in that during the osprey season especially I am always trying to keep up with live action whilst recording, editing, uploading (including the time-consuming task of adding accreditations and tags and category) and posting videos.

Before:

After

- We used to be able to post a YouTube link into the plain text reply box and the video would be embedded, but now Rich Formatting has to be used, which is much slower.  Was there a reason for the removal of the plain text box functionality or was the omission an oversight?

- I agree that the Rich Formatting box is too small by default.  Stretching it is yet another hurdle on the path to getting the job done.

- I wish I hadn't pointed out that Insert Video was superfluous because the feature was included in the Insert Image (now Insert/Edit Media, don't know if it was called that before).  Changing from "Upload" to "URL" is another hurdle because it's all rather small, and if I zoom the page for the sake of legibility/speed/accuracy then the Insert and Cancel icons at the bottom are off-screen and I have to scroll down to bring them into view.  I work on a small notebook.  Yes, I do know that this website cannot be tailored to my needs but I'm letting it all hang out ;-)

- Being able to upload multiple pics would be VERY welcome.

- Bringing back font size and colour would be very useful, even if font-style has to stay fixed.

Forgot what else I was going to mention :-/

IMAGICAT

• In addition to having a great big button that says FORUMS there needs to be one that says BLOGS.

Keep them separate so readers don't have to wade through or scroll down.

Better still IMO would be to remove blogs totally.  If someone wants to start a discussion or dialogue then they can use the forum.

If they want an online blog then they can start one independent of the RSPB.

I've only just realised there's masses of topics in WILDLIFE....  WAY too many!  Though the way it's configured you can't find the damn things anyway!

By example though, there's :

- ask an expert

- identify this

- wildlife questions

So if I take a photo and don't know what the creature is, where am I going?!

Then there's often stuff about other animals.   I've no problem with that because of course it's somewhat relevant to conservation and the environment generally.   But it needs to be in a clear place like 'off topic' or 'other animals'.

That way those who come to the forum to talk 'birds' can do just that more easily.

An added advantage for me personally is I don't need to stumble by accident to some idiotic (IMO) post about feeding or relocating or helping rats!

A bird in the hand can make an awful mess!

• I'd like to see the Forum Etiquette thread made into a permanent sticky, please.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• In another forum for and about Bird watching, all the members of that forum can post Blogs as well as posts in threads like this forum. I would like to see all members of this forum be allowed to post Blogs just like bloggers that work or volunteer for the RSPB.

Regards,

Ian.

• This thread has been made an "unsticky". Do you no longer require our input? Same with the reporting of technical problems thread, which I now can't find.

Cheers, Linda.

See my photos on Flickr

• Hello,

Sticky posts have a time limit. As they are for the interest of all community users and we feel the number of people on these forum threads has reached its peak it seems like the right time for them to come down anyway. Also we (relevant staff) receive notification of any new posts on these threads regardless of whether they're sticky. I hope this makes sense.

Please continue to send through your feedback and we will continue to monitor it.

Thanks

• I agree with Bob.  Please, Mods, may we have all threads relating to the recent updates (and relating to the further adjustments which are to be actioned at the end of September) remain as or be restored to 'Sticky' status and remain as 'Stickys' for as long as the updates will be happening.  Otherwise they just disappear into oblivion when there may still be issues which need addressing.  Many thanks for your consideration, thoughtfulness and empathy in this matter.

Kind regards, Ann

• Hi folks, further to your requests I have made this thread and the one about technical issues sticky for another week to see us nicely out of September.

Claire