Requests for new features: What would you like to see on the community?

This is where we can pool ideas and aspirations for the Community. Ideas are helpful for us to understand what you want to see, but with our limited resources we are looking to cherry pick the best ones. To tell us about fundamental problems with the Community please see our 'Technical issues' thread.

• In reply to doggie:

The ability to upload several photos at a time, then post rather than each one individually, would be a huge improvement

Of all creatures, man is the most detestable, he is the only creature that inflicts pain for sport, knowing it to be pain.
    ~ Mark Twain

• In reply to JudiM:

One thing that was avaiable for a short while in Rich Formatting was the ability to select a text colour which was an excellent facility. It was 'lost' when the RF went back to its original set up. Mary GK did ask about this recently in another thread.

Birdies LG DU update.

• In reply to bob's_retired_now:

Main Community Home Page, Latest forum posts.

On the forum before last the name of the original poster and date of first post was shown next to the title of the thread, eg. "Title .......  by ......... on ......... "  This was extremely useful but was removed on the previous upgrade despite many of us asking for it to be brought back.

I personally would like to see this re-instated.

Cheers, Linda.

See my photos on Flickr

• In reply to doggie:

Can someone please tell me what the enhanced editor is? I have managed to post photos quite easily without seeing any enhanced editor. Am I being thick?

Cheers, Linda.

See my photos on Flickr

• In reply to doggie:

I must have got my genes from my Yorkshire ancestors. LOL.

Mine already says enhanced. I haven't changed it. It must be the default on mine then?

EDIT: Posts crossed again - thanks Bob, and likewise Doggie!

Cheers, Linda.

See my photos on Flickr

• In reply to doggie:

The best new feature this site can come up with is a 'stacking' osprey thread, where osprey posts all appear under one primary thread. Everything is lost amongst osprey waffle. For example, at this moment in time, below the 'sticky' and 'announcement' lists is my reply to 'peacock picture challenge', then the next five out of six posts are 'osprey' related, and another one in the next four, with two of the others breaking that series one other poster replying to some i.d'ing threads.

As mentioned previously, there is 'far too much going on' on this community site. I agree with much of what has already been written earlier in this post, but ultimately, I'd have thought this community should be primarily focused on helping introduce younger people to birds and wildlife, adding interest and information for those who're already interested, raising RSPB's profile and membership and ultimately making RSPB member's contributions that pay for this site help birds and wildlife.

Ospreys have been a great success, and a good source of P.R. for RSPB over the years, but surely the site should be simple and easy for new visitors to use and to find things that would matter to them. I very much doubt many new visitors come to the site to read vast volumes of waffle about stranger's views on what's going on with an individual (either bird or contributor!).

I did note an osprey thread regarding who is and isn't contributing to osprey threads this year. Not something I'd be interested in joining in with myself, but can see it fitting in somewhere as part of a forum. However, added to all the other heap of threads on the front page regarding ospreys, it's too much.

A more apt thread should be, 'who are we missing this year, who contributed interesting points, posts etc who've stopped visiting the site because their posts have been lost/missed/buried'?

• In reply to Robbo:

p.s. I should add that I still find the site of interest and value, but the old version of approx 18 months ago was better. I also recognise that criticism is easy. Not meaning to be overly blunt, but as opinions have been sought on 'new features', I really do feel before that happens, the underlying failings need tackling first.

bob's_retired_now said:
    3: I would like the ability to customise a "my community page". It would have all the current stickies as osme of them are useful but would only show threads in groups that I select.

Do you mean something like this ? If so you could build your own.

Tiger's RSPB Signature

On both Firefox v23 and IE v8, I'm getting errors occuring when trying to 'use rich formatting'. What I'm attempting to do is quote Bob's last line and totally agree with it. Personalising a homepage on the community would greatly improve things for those already using the site.

Ultimately though, not enough new visitors are staying around.

Hi Bob,

Yes it's still on advanced.

Strangely....!......I'm not getting errors now so can post the screen print! I was getting the errors on desktop and ipad for both IE and Firefox, and Safari resp. I could quote up til this morning, and can again now.