Books

I'm wondering if a forum to post notes on wildlife books might be a good idea.

It could cover fact, fiction, reference, childrens, photography, guides, art - whatever really.

If there had to be rules, maybe;

• One book per post.
  • Title and author (if you can remember)
  • A couple of lines saying what you did or didn't like.

Or maybe you could use the forum to ask if anyone else has read a particular book you are interested in, or could help with half remembered details,ie; you know the characters but can't remember the title or author.

I think there is a bit of scope here, but also think it could be part of a larger forum for media ie;books,films,television,youtube,magazines etc,etc.

Anyway, any takers? Just thinking out loud really.

An egret changed my life!

• Yes the Collins Guides are very useful - There also is a companion Volume Garden Birds . The Wild Flowers Herbs & Healing plants  Fungi Trees Butterflies are also pretty good with plenty of species accounts. We stock them to support our conservation site  - a littel cheaper than what you suggest

The silhouettes are very useful and as you say the layout too There is a selection of used  books as well and I have fopund it is always difficult to nail a definitive guide for the birds but as far as little field guides go these like field binoculars are light and useful and at you fingertips

Best Wishes

Colin D

Visit http://www.ukwildlife.dial.pipex.com for Natural History Species and accounts

• Current favourite book:

'Photographic Guide to the Waders of the World' by David Rosair

It's a bit chunky and certainly not one for the top pocket, but it has photos of all the waders if you are a fan......

-Graham

• I like the idea of sharing info about good books on wildlife topics, though I tend to agree that some of the reference books are gear.  I have had books for presents over the last year.  One of them, The Secret Life of Birds by Colin Tudge, contains loads of detail about all kinds of birds: science of flight; physiology; evolution; classification; mating and other habits.  It sounds rather technical listed like that, and some of it is, but I found it a really good read. The author has a real love of birds and commitment to their environment conservation world wide.

On another tack completely, The Wheel on the School by Meindert Dejong is a children's classic which tells the story of how a group of children in a small village school in Holland are inspired to bring back storks to nest on the school roof and how they involve and affect the whole village community as they set to work to carry out their idea.

•  

Hi,

if that's the one he did with Dave Cottridge it's a good book-  Richard Chandler's Shorebirds of the Northern hemisphere is great too. And arguably more for Birders :)  - bigger images and more text :)

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box