Books

I'm wondering if a forum to post notes on wildlife books might be a good idea.

It could cover fact, fiction, reference, childrens, photography, guides, art - whatever really.

If there had to be rules, maybe;

• One book per post.
  • Title and author (if you can remember)
  • A couple of lines saying what you did or didn't like.

Or maybe you could use the forum to ask if anyone else has read a particular book you are interested in, or could help with half remembered details,ie; you know the characters but can't remember the title or author.

I think there is a bit of scope here, but also think it could be part of a larger forum for media ie;books,films,television,youtube,magazines etc,etc.

Anyway, any takers? Just thinking out loud really.

An egret changed my life!

• Hi Billy

A great idea for BOOK Forum based on the best advise about birds we can possess and compare notes between ourselves as members on the RSPB.

A start to this thread (example in my experience)

I have to admit I do have books that I take out on Bird trips - what is the best one will differ from person to person.

The one that I like the most is the {The Mitchell Beazley birdwatcher's Pocker Guide - 1982 copy at the moment} Still to buy an up to date book,

Reason {like and not like}

I think it is great for information that you require to ID a species -example compare a Goldcrest and a Firecrest.

It is good for advise to compare birds similar species.  It tells you what is what.

One downfall is that it does not tell you to size of the birds. 

Important information for ID purposes too.

Regards

Kathy and Dave

• Have to say my favourite pocket book 6½" by 3½" is
    Collins Nature Guides - BIRDS of BRITAIN and Europe

It is split into sections eg Waders, Waterbirds,Birds of Prey etcetc
    Gives you the colourings, size and weight of the bird, where it nests,
    What the female looks like, what food they like, Habitat, sounds
    All with a full colour illustration. Never go out without it.
    £8.99 from good book shops

Of all creatures, man is the most detestable, he is the only creature that inflicts pain for sport, knowing it to be pain.
    ~ Mark Twain

• One of my favourite bird books is "An Exaltation of Skylarks" by Stewart Beer.  It is an anthology of poetry and prose spanning twenty-three centuries, entirely on the subject of skylarks.  Published in hardback in 1995 by SMH Books. 

There is something new to learn everyday...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/skylark58/

•  

Hi,

don't books come under gear?  Mostly we use them for ID. :)

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• Hi,

I think Sarum Bat's post is the angle I was getting at. All though I think reference books should be included, it would be nice for people to mention books of all ilks, i.e poetry, art, fiction etc.

I would like to mention 'Bearded Tit' by Rory McGrath.

Despite initial reservations about the author, i really enjoyed this book. Laugh out loud funny in places. Good anyway, but I think a little more enjoyable if you know your birds and your fellow birdwatchers. 

An egret changed my life!

• Hi Billy, I've not come across that one before so I will look out for it as I really enjoyed Simon Barnes' "How To Be A Bad Birdwatcher". Side-achingly funny and at the same time extremely true.

Another great read is "An Owl Came To Stay" by Claire Rome. I am not sure if that is still in print, though, so it may be a charity shop or car boot/jumble sale search for it.

The necessity of bird-watching is a really good reason for avoiding all forms of housework.

The dust will still be there tomorrow - the birds may not be!

• Unknown said:

Hi,

I think Sarum Bat's post is the angle I was getting at. All though I think reference books should be included, it would be nice for people to mention books of all ilks, i.e poetry, art, fiction etc.

I would like to mention 'Bearded Tit' by Rory McGrath.

Despite initial reservations about the author, i really enjoyed this book. Laugh out loud funny in places. Good anyway, but I think a little more enjoyable if you know your birds and your fellow birdwatchers. 

I enjoyed Bearded Tit in the end but at first I was unsure if I'd finish it. First couple of chapters almost lost me.

The wisdom of birds is a good read, if anyone is looking for one.

John :-)

For viewing or photography right place right time is everything. I'd rather be in the right place with poor kit than have the best kit and be in the wrong place.

• Squirrel B said:

I really enjoyed Simon Barnes' "How To Be A Bad Birdwatcher". Side-achingly funny and at the same time extremely true.

I wholeheartedly second that!

"All weeds are flowers, once you get to know them" (Eeyore)

My photos on Flickr

• Hi

I only have a couple of books and the one I like the best out of them is: RSPB Hand Book Of British Birds.

Hey farmer, farmer, put away the D.D.T now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please!

• Rockwolf said:

I really enjoyed Simon Barnes' "How To Be A Bad Birdwatcher". Side-achingly funny and at the same time extremely true.

I wholeheartedly second that!

You both seem to recomend this book, which I think I will buy. I could do with reading a light hearted book.

[/quote]