GOOD EGG AWARD UPDATE

Hello folks,

We have been thinking about making some changes to the good egg award. Under the current system, Good Eggs are only recognised once, but we'd like to create a new system to recognise those of you who consistently contribute really good stuff to the Forum.

One of the ideas we've been throwing around is that of a monthly rolling award. If anyone has any thoughts on this or other ideas regarding improvements to the good egg award we would welcome constructive comments.

Claire
(on behalf of all of the Moderators)

• Sheena said:
    I think a debate can only do good if people remain polite as we are all entitled to our opinions.

Indeed!

• Kezsmum   I would like to echo Shenna's point that it is very unfortunate that this discussion has to come up now as it appears to be aimed at you. However the reality is that it was going to happen sooner or later and someone was going to find themselves in your place. The reality is that these things have been going on for a long time.

• Hazel b said:
    Kezsmum   I would like to echo Shenna's point that it is very unfortunate that this discussion has to come up now as it appears to be aimed at you. However the reality is that it was going to happen sooner or later and someone was going to find themselves in your place. The reality is that these things have been going on for a long time.

Apparently so.

• Anonymous
    Anonymous 18/04/2011 16:07 in reply to Kezsmum

Kezsmum said:

I think a debate can only do good if people remain polite as we are all entitled to our opinions.

Indeed!

[/quote]

Sheena and Kezsmum.

May I apologise for the part I played in your just censure.

I have edited my comments and now go off on holiday with a slightly heavier heart

Pipit

• Unknown said:

Indeed!

[/quote]

Sheena and Kezsmum.

May I apologise for the part I played in your just censure.

I have edited my comments and now go off on holiday with a slightly heavier heart

Pipit

[/quote]

No apologies needed Pips  you spoke well ,from the heart and honestly.You just turn those lips towards the sky and have a wonderful time matey xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

An optimist sees the beauty of the complete rose.A pessimist sees only the thorn .

• I too am sorry that Kezsmum has perhaps felt it was aimed at her. Nothing of the kind as far as I am concerned.

I don't know what the answer is but some of us at least agree on one thing, that we are all entitled to our views.

There must be many other members out there who have opinions too but are worried about standing up and saying something for fear of being shot down. I find that thought very sad.

• ChloeB said:
    There must be many other members out there who have opinions too but are worried about standing up and saying something for fear of being shot down. I find that thought very sad

Chloe,I too find this very sad ,as long as we do not get too personal and go out of the way to intentionally hurt peoples feelings we should be free to offer up our opinions and if we do accidentally upset someone we should be able to apologize.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Unknown said:
    . I am more than happy to leave it to the Mods to carry on as normal.

The mods asked for comments from the forum members regarding this issue and appear to wish make changes.

Like other posters who have commented here, I would like to add that the discussion is not aimed at any Egg - all of the Eggs have made good contributions to the forum.

Since the thread was recently bumped up, I have the impression that the majority of members who have responded at the very least have misgivings about the current award system.

"The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom" - Wlliam Blake

• Good day to you all!

The moderating team have been catching up with this thread since it popped back up, some really good comments have been made and some very positive ideas for how to potentially improve the good egg scheme. Unfortunately a few comments have caused a bit of concern so we are looking into a few things. You may see some editing/removal of comments as well as behind the scenes actions which we cannot discuss openly on the forum.

The first thing that we would like to do is to draw attention to the original comments about the good egg scheme, have a look here. We would like to mention that the staff involved with community get together to discuss potential nominees for the good egg award under the criteria given on the link above. We hoped that the award would be a good way to recognise outstanding contributions to the community and we hoped that forum users would accept our choices with good grace, which in the main has happened, well done to those!

Unfortunately, as with all things, problems do crop up. We are looking into ways to improve the system so we do appreciate your feedback. We are looking to retain some form of system to recognise good contributions to the forum whilst also acknowledging previous awards but nothing is set in stone yet and we will not be making any changes to the good egg scheme until we have our new site (still in the pipeline i'm afraid).

Please be aware that we are a small team of staff that are moderating the community in between our other tasks and we may not be able to read every post. However we do read through a large number of posts and we try to add threads, comments and other content when we can. We do check reported posts on a daily basis so if you come across any content that you have concerns over, please flag it up so we can deal with it quickly.

Essay over, thanks again for your positive comments and enjoy the sunshine!

Warden Intern at Otmoor.

• Ian H said:

Please be aware that we are a small team of staff that are moderating the community in between our other tasks and we may not be able to read every post. However we do read through a large number of posts and we try to add threads, comments and other content when we can. We do check reported posts on a daily basis so if you come across any content that you have concerns over, please flag it up so we can deal with it quickly.

I am going to do a bit of creeping here,I think that Ian and the other mods do a great job in overseeing what is a busy site,it must take up a lot of valuable time that maybe could be wasted birding.That's my creep over I'll now get up off my knees and go birding.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can